graphs I cant stand it, I cant read it help!!

kelly38

Which of the following is the closest approximation of the slope of the line graphed below?
KH_Math_Readiness_8.EE.5_2nd_Final_1.GIF

CHOOSE ONEA

B

C

D

E

The slope is defined by:
dy/dx, or
(y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1)

Which basicly means, that the slope is the change in y-direction divided by the change in x-direction over a chosen length of the graph.
-----
Edit:
If you've never heard of the above before, maybe you are supposed to use a different approach.
You can also look at each answer individually.
What happens if the slope is 0? Well, then when x is increased by 1, y is increased by 0. This means it is a straight line. Is this the graph? No.
What happens if the slope is 5? When x is increased by 1, y is increased by 5. Does this fit the graph?

-----
Do you know how to get to the answer now?

Last edited:
When I look at the graph, the first thing I see is that it looks like the line goes through (0, 0) and just below the point (2, 3). That would say that the slope of the graph is just below (3- 0)/(2- 0)= 3/2. I also see that the line looks like it goes just above the point (3, 5). That would say that the slope is just above (5- 0)/(3- 0)= 5/3. So I would say that the slope must be between 3/2= 1.5 and 1.6666..= 5/3. There is onlly one value in the given list that satisfie that.

Which of the following is the closest approximation of the slope of the line graphed below?
KH_Math_Readiness_8.EE.5_2nd_Final_1.GIF

CHOOSE ONEA

B

C

D

E

The slope is defined by:
dy/dx, or
(y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1)

Which basicly means, that the slope is the change in y-direction divided by the change in x-direction over a chosen length of the graph.
-----
Edit:
If you've never heard of the above before, maybe you are supposed to use a different approach.
You can also look at each answer individually.
What happens if the slope is 0? Well, then when x is increased by 1, y is increased by 0. This means it is a straight line. Is this the graph? No.
What happens if the slope is 5? When x is increased by 1, y is increased by 5. Does this fit the graph?

-----
Do you know how to get to the answer now?

no I dont, all that x, y stuff is confusing. If i knew the points then I could solve and so it s basically going on blind

We see the line passes through the origin, so it must be of the form:

\(\displaystyle y=mx\)

Now, which of the given choices is closest to \(\displaystyle y(1)\) ?

If i knew the points then I could solve and so it s basically going on blind

kelly38,

\(\displaystyle The \ \ slope \ \ (or \ m) \ = \ \dfrac{y_2 - y_1}{x_2 - x_1}.\)

I want to use (0, 0) for one of the points. Another point which looks
relatively close to having integer coordinates is (-2, -3).

\(\displaystyle (x_1, y_1)\) could be allowed to be (-2, -3), and

\(\displaystyle (x_2, y_2) \) could be allowed to be (0, 0).

If I settle on those to use for the slope, then

\(\displaystyle m \ \approx \ \ \dfrac{0 - (-3)}{0 - (-2)}\)

\(\displaystyle m \ \approx \ \ \dfrac{3}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle m \ \approx \ \ 1.5\)

Kelly,

Try to form a triangle with the line. Slope is the height of the triangle divided by the width of the triangle.
Use the bottom half of the line to form the triangle, just count the blocks to figure out the height and the width.

slope= 6 blocks/ 4 blocks = 1.5

Hence the answer is (c).

(Note that the triangle is a right angled triangle - so the slope is same as tangent = opposite/adjacent).