Graphs

James Smithson

Not sure I put this in the correct bit to be honest.

I have been asked to sketch a graph of

y=3000(x-6)+5000

so I think I am right in saying that means i calculate the brackets out to get the equasion of a straight line and i end up with the following

y=3000x-13000

I have been asked to cover the time interval of 6≤ x ≤12

what does this mean ?

and how do i draw it ??thank you

y=3000(x-6)+5000

so I think I am right in saying that means i calculate the brackets out to get the equasion of a straight line and i end up with the following

y=3000x-13000

what does this mean ?

I was been stupid I understand now i think please delete this

It belongs in beginning algebra, not calculus............................... it has been moved now

y=3000(x-6)+5000

y=3000x-13000

what does this mean ?

There are some things worth saying that might still be of use, though you've solved it.

First, you recognize that this is the equation of a line; so you can graph it by finding any two points on the line. It's written in point-slope form, so you can immediately see that it passes through the point (6, 5000). Since you are to graph it for x ranging from 6 to 12, that's a good point to use.

And you might as well also plot the other end point, at x=12. Plugging that in, you get y=23000.

So just plot the points (6, 5000) and (12, 23000), and draw a line segment between them. You never need to plot the y-intercept.

I find this technique of plotting endpoints useful for more advanced problems, such as graphing a piecewise-defined function.

Last edited by a moderator: