harder solid of rev. problem: y=x from 1 to 5 about y=2x+5

tkhunny

Staff member
I think you're backwards. Which line are you revolving about which?

I'm struggling a bit with exactly what is happening. Must the solid of revolution remain inside [1,5]?

As the problem states, we're revolving y=x about y=2x+5 from x=1 to 5.

The problem says y=x from 1 to 5 about y=2x+5.

All I have is how the problem is stated.

I may be backwards. :roll:

I believe you're right about my former attempt. I think it's discombobulated.

Anyway, here's a graph and another attempt.

solidte4.jpg

If I am interpreting the problem correctly, the region enclosed within the marked coordinate points is the region to be revolved. Upon revolving, this will form a frustrum of a cone with:

\(\displaystyle R=2\sqrt{5}, \;\ r=2\sqrt{2}, \;\ h=\frac{2\sqrt{74}}{3}\)

This gives:

\(\displaystyle \L\\\frac{1}{3}{\pi}\frac{2\sqrt{74}}{3}\left[(2\sqrt{2})^{2}+(2\sqrt{5})(2\sqrt{2})+(2\sqrt{5})^{2}\right]=\approx{244.12}\)

I derived R, r, and h by using the distance from a point to a line formula, the midpoint formula, the distance formula and whatever else I could think of.

You are approaching what I was thinking, that [1,5] was only part of the definition of the area.

Was y = 10-x given in the problem statement, or is that supposed to be perpendicular to y = 2x+5 and through (5,5)?

Try #3?

Was y = 10-x given in the problem statement, or is that supposed to be perpendicular to y = 2x+5 and through (5,5)?

No, it wasn't given. The only thing given is what is in the original statement.
I found that. perpendiculer to y=x and passing through (5,5).
-x+10=2x+5, x=5/3 and y=25/3

That's what I thought, in which case you probably should make up your mind. Do you want them BOTH perpendicular to y = x or to y = 2x+5? One of each seems a little odd.

You are so correct, TK. Thanks for the catch. I see it now. I want them both perp to y=x. The other line should be y=-x+2, not y=(-x+3)/2. I will have to redo my calculations.

Shouldn't they be perpendicular to the axis of rotation? I think you fixed the wrong one.

No, I don't think so. Normally, but the problem says "y=x from 1 to 5.

If the lines were perp to y=2x+5, then that would result in different values on y=x other than 1 to 5.

That's not the way I read it. If it isn't perpendicular to the axis of rotation, you'll get caps or pits in your frustrum. You can still get [1,5] on y = x, just different intersections on y = 2x+5. In fact, they are simpler intersections, requiring only two pieces for evaluation, rather than four.

What's the intent of the problem? No clue.

Yes, tkh, you're certainly right. That is what I done the first time around. I ended up with:

These lines are perpendicular to y=2x+5(axis of rotation) and pass through 1 and 5 on y=x.

lines: \(\displaystyle \L\\y=x, \;\ y=2x+5, \;\ y=\frac{-1}{2}x+\frac{3}{2}, \;\ y=\frac{-1}{2}+\frac{15}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle \L\\R=2\sqrt{5}, \;\ r=\frac{6}{\sqrt{5}}, \;\ h=\frac{12}{\sqrt{5}}, \;\ V=\frac{784{\pi}\sqrt{5}}{25}\approx{220.298}\)

solid2zb1.jpg

That if that's not right, then it's wrong because that's all I am messing with it.
There was no point to it; Just for kicks to figure out because it was a little different from the usual SOR problems. What's the point in a lot of this stuff?. I just like it.

I think we're on the same page, now, at least for the area.

How did you calculate the volume? I calcualte it two different ways (Theorem of Pappus and your basic frustrum built from chopping a cone off a larger cone.) and get 220.298 square units.

I calculated it using the data and the formula for the volume of a frustrum.

\(\displaystyle \L\\\frac{1}{3}{\pi}h(R^{2}+Rr+r^{2})\)

I get the same as you. FINALLY..WHEW. I had a small error in my h. I fix.

May I ask?. Let me see your Pappus method if you feel like posting it.

Area

\(\displaystyle \L\;\int_{(-7/5)}^{1}{\int_{(3/2-x/2)}^{2x+5}{}dy}dx\;+\;\int_{1}^{5}{\int_{x}^{(15/2-x/2)}{}dy}dx = 96/5\)

Centroid - X

\(\displaystyle \L\;(5/96)[\int_{(-7/5)}^{1}{\int_{(3/2-x/2)}^{2x+5}{x}dy}dx\;+\;\int_{1}^{5}{\int_{x}^{(15/2-x/2)}{x}dy}dx] = 23/15\)

Centroid - Y

\(\displaystyle \L\;(5/96)[\int_{(-7/5)}^{1}{\int_{(3/2-x/2)}^{2x+5}{y}dy}dx\;+\;\int_{1}^{5}{\int_{x}^{(15/2-x/2)}{y}dy}dx] = 239/60\)

Distance of Centroid from y = 2x+5

\(\displaystyle \L\;\frac{|2(23/15)-1(239/60)+5|}{\sqrt{5}}\;=\;\frac{49\sqrt{5}}{60}\)

Volume

\(\displaystyle \L\;2\pi\;\frac{49\sqrt{5}}{60}\;\frac{96}{5}\;=\;\frac{784\pi\sqrt{5}}{25}\)

Some nice mathematics.

Wow, tkh, very nice. That's more LaTex than you've ever typed in one setting, huh?. :D
It was fun discussing this with you.

I was tempted to get a rendering program. I guess I had one, once.

Code pretty stuff and it writes the LaTeX for you. That's what I call it, anyway. There may be better names.

I am certain there are programs better than my ability to write it from scratch. I used one, once.

Oh yeah. I had that once. It was a freeware version and wouldn't let you print or save anything.