Having embarrassing trouble with a unit conversion dealing with BMI (body mass index)

cow

Hello all,
This is my first time on the forums and apparently Friday is just not my day for arithmetic.

My problem is quite simple and I have just hit a mental roadblock after hours of coding.

Basically all I have to do is come up with a formula that will convert bmi (kg/meters^2) into an Americanized version (pounds/feet^2).

I took a shot at it and just multiplied the two conversion rates (for this problem 2.2 lbs per kg and 3.28 feet per meter) into the numerator.

I feel this is incorrect, but I can't come up with a way to check it and would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks for looking and have a great day!

Trying writing it all out with units so that they cancel out, like so:

\(\displaystyle \huge\frac{kg}{m^2}*\frac{2.2lbs}{kg}*{(\frac{m}{3.28ft})}^2\)

You're taking the original value in kg/m^2 and multiplying by two factors that equal 1, so you're not changing the overall value. But, now you can start cancelling out units and you reduce to:

\(\displaystyle \huge\frac{2.2lbs}{3.28ft^2}\)

Your conversion factor is \(\displaystyle \huge\frac{2.2}{3.28^2}\). I suspect your mistake was forgetting to square 3.28, because while there are 3.28 feet in a meter, there are 10.76 sqft in a square meter.

EDIT -- Yeah, obviously I messed this up the first time. It's been corrected. Thanks Dr. Phil :)

PS - since you're converting mass (kg) to weight (lbs), this calculation is only valid for 1.0 Earth gravity :)

Hello all,
This is my first time on the forums and apparently Friday is just not my day for arithmetic.

My problem is quite simple and I have just hit a mental roadblock after hours of coding.

Basically all I have to do is come up with a formula that will convert bmi (kg/meters^2) into an Americanized version (pounds/feet^2).

I took a shot at it and just multiplied the two conversion rates (for this problem 2.2 lbs per kg and 3.28 feet per meter) into the numerator.

I feel this is incorrect, but I can't come up with a way to check it and would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks for looking and have a great day!
I also hit a mental roadblock whenever I have to do conversions with the schizophrenic unit "pound." The problem is keeping "mass" and "weight" separate.

Mass is a property of matter, measured in kg.
Weight is the force of gravity acting on a mass, measured in kg-m/s^2 or N (Newtons).

So what is a pound? I take it to be a unit of Force, or weight, as in the statement "I weigh less because I live at high altitude where the acceleration of gravity is lower." Then it is better to say "A mass of 1 kg has a weight of 2.2 pounds at sea level," instead of equating kg and lb.

So what units are used for Body Mass Index? In real units, it is mass/height^2 = kg/m^2.
To convert from Weight(lb)/(ft)^2, multiply by (3.28^2)/2.2 = 4.89

Trying writing it all out with units so that they cancel out, like so:

\(\displaystyle \huge\frac{kg}{m^2}*\frac{2.2lbs}{kg}*{(\frac{3.28m}{ft})}^2\)

You're taking the original value in kg/m^2 and multiplying by two factors that equal 1, so you're not changing the overall value. But, now you can start cancelling out units and you reduce to:

\(\displaystyle \huge\frac{2.2lbs*3.28^2}{ft^2}\)

Your conversion factor is 2.2*3.28^2. I suspect your mistake was forgetting to square 3.28, because while there are 3.28 feet in a meter, there are 10.76 sqft in a square meter.
OOPS .. 3.28 ft/m