Having trouble understanding the concept behind seperable equations

mangopear

So I'm in my first differential equations college class, and we just learned about separable equations. Now, I have no trouble solving these equations, but I'm having trouble understanding what is actually happening when we solve a separable equation.
For example, the generic separable differential equation is N(y)dy/dx=M(x).
Then you simply cancel out the dx and pop it on the right side resulting in two clean integrals. N(y)dy=M(x)dx which you can then solve easily.
Here's my problem. I don't understand how we can just split a derivative and algebraically separate dx from dy. I understand that we're not actually canceling out the dx, but I'm not sure what exactly is happening. Could somebody please elaborate?
Thank you!

So I'm in my first differential equations college class, and we just learned about separable equations. Now, I have no trouble solving these equations, but I'm having trouble understanding what is actually happening when we solve a separable equation.
For example, the generic separable differential equation is N(y)dy/dx=M(x).
Then you simply cancel out the dx and pop it on the right side resulting in two clean integrals. N(y)dy=M(x)dx which you can then solve easily.
Here's my problem. I don't understand how we can just split a derivative and algebraically separate dx from dy. I understand that we're not actually canceling out the dx, but I'm not sure what exactly is happening. Could somebody please elaborate?
Thank you!
Let
F(y) = \(\displaystyle \int^y N(y) dy = \int^x M(x) dx\)
Take the derivative wrt x across and use the chain rule.

Last edited:
The derivative, strictly speaking, is NOT a fraction but it is the limit of a fraction, the difference quotient. As a result, we can prove many "fraction-like" properties by going back before the limit, using the fraction property, then taking the limit again. For example, the "'chain rule", \(\displaystyle \frac{df}{dx}= \frac{df}{dy}\frac{dy}{dx}\) where f is a function of y and y is a function of x. We cannot prove that by just "cancelling the 'dy's" but we can prove it by, as I just said, going back before the limit.

In order to be able to use the fact that a derivative can be "treated like a fraction", we define the differentials with "dx" being purely symbolic and dy defined as f'(x)dx. That is typically done in a first Calculus class. Once we have done that, "separating" derivatives in order to solve separable equations is valid.

OK, that makes more sense. So we're not actually treating dx/dy like a fraction, but we're using proofs to rewrite it as fractions for ease of use?
Thanks for the replies by the way!

Make sure you understand my other point- that we can then define "dy'' and "dx" separately so that "dy/dx" is a fraction.