height of box, given length, width, volume / number of coins

MARIE

I have been stuck on these two questions for hours. Can someone please help me?

1) The volume of a rectangle box is 20 cubic inches. If the top is 2 inches by 2.5 inches, what is the height?

2) Jeb has 15 coins. They are all quarters and dimes. He has a total of $2.10. How many dimes does he have?

Re: pre-algebra question- help!!!

MARIE said:

The volume of a rectangle box is 20 cubic inches. If the top is 2 inches by 2.5 inches, what is the height?

volume = (length)(width)(height)
20 = (2.5)(2)(height)

height = ?

Jeb has 15 coins. They are all quarters and dimes. He has a total of $2.10. How many dimes does he have?

let Q = number of quarters
D = number of dimes

Q + D = 15
25Q + 10D = 210

solve the system of equations

Re: pre-algebra question- help!!!

MARIE said:

The volume of a rectangle box is 20 cubic inches. If the top is 2 inches by 2.5 inches, what is the height?
How can you be stuck for so long? You either have the formula or you don't.

Volume of Rectangular Box = Length * Width * Height

Substitute Known Values
20 in^3 = 2 in * 2.5 in * Height

Solve for the missing piece.
Height = (20 in^3)/(2 in * 2.5 in) = (20/(2*2.5)) in = 4 in

Recommendation: Don't do that again. Go do something else until you have the right tools. Stressing is never beneficial. :)

Jeb has 15 coins. They are all quarters and dimes. He has a total of $2.10. How many dimes does he have?
Name things. Did you cover this in class at all? Wait - you posted in pre-algebra. Well, okay, let's think about it.

$2.10 made up of quarters and dimes.

The most quarters is 2.10/.25 = 8.4 -- So at most 8 quarters
The most dimes is 2.10/0.10 = 21 -- So, at most 21 dimes.

Thinking about the quarters...With a total of $2.10, there must be some EVEN number of quarters. You tell me why that is. Think about multiples and that last pennies digit.

Wait, it's pretty obvious that 8 quarters makes $2.00. Add one dime and we get $2.10. Too bad it says 15 coins. We almost had it!

Now what do you suppose we do?

So if :
q+d = 15
d=15-q

25q + 10(15-q) = 210
25q + 150 - 10q = 210
15q +150 = 210
15q = 210-150
15q = 60
15q/15 = 60/15
q = 4

Dimes = 11

Thankyou!!!!!

Alas! I went to all that trouble to avoid algebra and it appears you are up to speed anyway. I always wondered about the definition of pre-algebra. This just adds to my lack of clarity.