Help: 4 more than the quotient of 24 and a number x?

Samsal06

4 more than the quotient of 24 and a number x? I have no idea how to do this

You "have no idea how to do" what, exactly? You have posted an expression, without any instructions.

When you reply, please mention recent topics of study in your math class, as this may help us understand what is meant to be going on here. Thank you!

My guess is that you were asked to write an expression representing that phrase.

If you are struggling with that, please try this easier example: Write an expression for "4 more than a number x". Then try this: "the quotient of 24 and x". Then put those together. But show us your attempt at any part of this.

"quotient" means answer to division, shown as a fraction:

quotient of 1 and 2 means 1/2 (1 divided by 2)
quotient of a and b means a/b (a divided by b)

"quotient" means answer to division, shown as a fraction:
quotient of 1 and 2 means 1/2 (1 divided by 2)
quotient of a and b means a/b (a divided by b)
[imath]4+\dfrac{24}{x}[/imath] is the mathematical translation of the posted.
What that means is anyone's guess.
[imath][/imath][imath][/imath][imath][/imath]

Not that it matters but I would have written it literally as \(\displaystyle \frac{24}{x} + 4\).

Interesting ... to me ""4 more than" is the operation that comes last.

Not that it matters but I would have written it literally as \(\displaystyle \frac{24}{x} + 4\).

Interesting ... to me ""4 more than" is the operation that comes last.
I do the same, and tell students that although it makes no difference in this case, it does make a difference for "4 less than", so it's a good habit to develop. I think, What am I starting with, and what am I doing to it?

In other words, when I see "4 more than ...", I think, "4 more than what?", and hold off on the addition until I've written down the what.

It's important to learn what is commutative (that is, what you can ignore), but it is also important to separate that property from the basics of interpretation, and not just lazily ignore order from the start.