help can anyone solve this for my daughter

louise2000

a,b,c,d,e and f hold a fencing competition each has to play each other results are either a win or a loss. no competitor lost all their matches.ut one person won all theirs.d won against b .a and e won the same odd number of bouts but a lost to e. b and f won a total of seven matches.c only won one bout against another person who won only one match can you deduce what the results were. hope some on can help thanks

a,b,c,d,e and f hold a fencing competition each has to play each other results are either a win or a loss. no competitor lost all their matches.ut one person won all theirs.d won against b .a and e won the same odd number of bouts but a lost to e. b and f won a total of seven matches.c only won one bout against another person who won only one match can you deduce what the results were. hope some on can help thanks

Which grade is your daughter in?

She should communicate directly.

Tell her to:

Please share her work with us, indicating exactly where she is stuck - so that we may know where to begin to help you.

hi

Very sloppily written; looks like this is what happened:

a,b,c,d,e and f hold a fencing competition.
Everybody played each other, so everybody played 5 matches.
No matches were tied.
Nobody lost all his matches.
One person won all his matches.
d won against b.
a and e won the same odd number of matches.
a lost to e.
b and f won a combined total of seven matches.
c only won one match; his opponent in that match won only one match.
Can you deduce what the results were ?

Is that what you meant?

yes this is what we meant.our results are
6x5 = 30 matches
a =3 wins
b=2 wins
c=1 win
d = 1 win
e=3 wins
f = 5 wins
but that is only 15 matches where am i going wrong?

I agree this problem is hard - but this may not be regular class-room problem. This could one of those problems from math-olympics or some such sort......

Does anyone else think that posing this problem to kids studying arithmetic is insane? It is the kind of problem that discourages kids from learning math because it has no obvious relationship to any practical problem and because it is extremely difficult to solve with the mathematical tools that the child presumably has. Although it can presumably be solved through pure logic without any algebraic notation, such a solution is not easy. It's not that obvious using basic algebra plus logic.

A beat B, C, and D. 3 wins is odd number of wins above 0 and below 5.

B beat C and E. 2 wins. 0 < 2 < 5.

C beat D. 1 win against a player with only 1 win. 0 < 1 < 5.

D beat B. Only 1 win. 0 < 1 < 5.

E beat A, C, and D. 3 wins, same as A. 0 < 3 < 5.

F beat A, B, C, D, and E. 5 wins and 5 + 2 = 7.

I solved it using a logic tree and algebra. It took a while.

EDIT By the way I did NOT prove that this solution was unique. At the beginning of the logic tree I was faced with a = 3 or
a = 1. My intuition suggested that a = 3 was more promising. I never explored the a = 1 branch. To show that there is a unique solution would require following every branch of the logic tree to its end to find a solution or a contradiction.
thank you i am trying to understand it so i can help her understand it but sadly im not very bright