Help I need help answering a couple questions

Helpurgent

For the 3 that are equations I need to know all factors like (x+_) and for the shape ones i need to know the length. Thanks

Attachments

• A (1).JPG
    A (1).JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 5
  • A.JPG
    A.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 5
  • B.JPG
    B.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 3
  • help.JPG
    help.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 3
Please follow our submission guidelines:

In particular, give one problem per thread (or a couple closely related ones), and show work so we can see where you need help. Also, for multiple choice problems, the choices are part of the problem, because there may be valid answers that are not among the choices. Don't omit them.

Hi, I have solved your first question.
You can view the solution here:

Do you know how to factor numbers? The second one (since you say you have already done the first) is \(\displaystyle x^2- 38x- 80\). To "factor" a trinomial means to find integers, a and b, so that the trinomial is equal to the product \(\displaystyle (x- a)(x+ b)= x^2- x+ bx- ab= x^2- (a- b)- ab\) (I have used the same negative signs as in the given polynomial). So how does 80 factor? Since 80 is an even number, "2" is a factor- the easiest way to factor 80 is 2 times 40 and it just happens that 40- 2= 38! So this factors as (x- 2)(x+ 40).

For the "rectangle" problem, I presume you know, from elementary geometry, that "area equal length times width". Here, you are told that the area is given by \(\displaystyle x^2+ 16x- 36\) and that the width is x- 2. So the length must be some number "a" such that \(\displaystyle (x+ a)(x- 2)= x^2+ 16x- 36\) (I know it must be "-a" rather than "+a" because (+a)(-2) will be negative as is -36. In fact since -2a must equal -36, a must equal -36/-2. So what is a?

Hi Helpurgent

The detailed explanation for your question can be found here: