Help me answer Question number 3

What help do you need? How far did you get?

They've given a method; they want you to rewrite [MATH]\left(\frac{81y^8}{16x^4}\right)^\frac{3}{4}[/MATH] as [MATH]\left(\left(\frac{81y^8}{16x^4}\right)^\frac{1}{4}\right)^3[/MATH] or as [MATH]\left(\left(\frac{81y^8}{16x^4}\right)^3\right)^\frac{1}{4}[/MATH]. Can you see why one of these might be quicker than the other?

Just like that?

There's more to do, right? It isn't any simpler yet!

What can you do now with the exponent of 1/4 (in the middle form) or the 3 (in the third form, which is harder to work with)?

Do you recognize that \(\displaystyle 81= 9^2= (3^2)^2= 3^4\) and that \(\displaystyle 16= 4^2= (2^2)^2= 2^4\)? That makes taking the 1/4 power first particularly easy!

Halls, I hope after two years that the OP finally learned how to solve the problem. The real question is does the OP still remember.

An even better question is how did you come to answer a post that is over two years old??

… The real question is does the OP still remember … a post that is over two years old??
I think the real question is, "What were you looking at, Jomo?"

;)

...sir HallsofIvy.
Ummmm.... HallsofIvy is a woman.

Kidding! I'm kidding! He just looks like one.

(I'm probably going to burn in Hades for this one. Get out of the corner, Jomo.)

-Dan