Help me understand this expansion

thickmax

1623155715166.png

Please help me understand this expansion.

Specifically where the - X^2 comes from,

I get the (X^4)/4

I do not understand where it has come from...

Attachments

• 1623155692164.png
    1623155692164.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 0
The standard expansion is \((a+b )^2=a^2+2ab+b^2\)
in \(\left(1-\dfrac{x^2}{2}\right)^2\) we have \(a=1~\&~b=\dfrac{-x^2}{2}\)
So that \(1^2~,~2(1)\left(\dfrac{-x^2}{2}\right)~\&~\left(\dfrac{-x^2}{2}\right)^2=1-\left({x^2}\right)+\left(\dfrac{x^4}{4}\right)\)
Can you finish?

Last edited:
Ok, but where does the 2 come from?
REALLY!

Check response #2 and work through line-by-line, using pencil & paper.

What does the first line ( of the response #2) say ?. Write it out! Do you agree with that statement?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes really, when steps are skipped and you don't understand, it is very difficult to understand.

FOIL method worked, and I get 1^2 - 2X^2/2 - X^4/4 =1- X^2-X^4/4

More than one step here, the help is greatly appreciated.

Yes really, when steps are skipped and you don't understand, it is very difficult to understand.

FOIL method worked, and I get 1^2 - 2X^2/2 + X^4/4 =1- X^2 + X^4/4 ............................. small typo

More than one step here, the help is greatly appreciated.
In response# 3 you did NOT state that you do not follow:
The standard expansion is (a+b)2=a2+2ab+b2

I stress again - please work with pencil-paper, don't just stare at the glowing screen.

Is this your first-course in algebra? Like pka stated that equation is "standard" and used quite often (along with many other equations).

In response# 3 you did NOT state that you do not follow:

I stress again - please work with pencil-paper, don't just stare at the glowing screen.

Is this your first-course in algebra? Like pka stated that equation is "standard" and used quite often (along with many other equations).

Yeah, but again, when a step is missed, what I'm looking for has changed....I'm not that clever to see things without every step!

I will take your point on board with the pencil-paper :)

Not really, I'm 25 and had completed a HNC 4 years ago...I'm hoping to go to Univesity in September to study Mechatronics and have to do an A level top up course to fulfil the entry requirements, but it is proving very difficult and I'm not sure this level, or high level of maths is for me...

Considering changing the degree of choice to design and construction management...