Help needed with exponents

j4m

I'm trying to understand how L is solved in this -- how -z/pi*alpha^alpha-1 (lambda is in the pic but is equal to 1 so I ignored it here) is flipped so that it equals pi*alpha^(1/1-alpha)/z. This result was taken from the answers but I'd appreciate if someone could explain the process/laws that cause this.

For context, this is from using partial derivatives to find first order conditions in an economic problem.

Cheers.

1654243678173.png

I'm trying to understand how L is solved in this -- how -z/pi*alpha^alpha-1 (lambda is in the pic but is equal to 1 so I ignored it here) is flipped so that it equals pi*alpha^(1/1-alpha)/z. This result was taken from the answers but I'd appreciate if someone could explain the process/laws that cause this.

For context, this is from using partial derivatives to find first order conditions in an economic problem.

Cheers.

View attachment 32910
Are you saying this is a copy of someone's work that you are trying to understand? Or is the boxed equation the supposedly correct answer, and the rest is your own work (which could perhaps be wrong)?

It's clear that the two expressions for L are not equivalent.

Can you show us the actual problem, and any work or answers provided to you, in print (your handwriting is in an unfamiliar style, and therefore hard for me to read), and tell us more about what you have written here? Everything is rather cryptic.

Are you saying this is a copy of someone's work that you are trying to understand? Or is the boxed equation the supposedly correct answer, and the rest is your own work (which could perhaps be wrong)?

It's clear that the two expressions for L are not equivalent.

Can you show us the actual problem, and any work or answers provided to you, in print (your handwriting is in an unfamiliar style, and therefore hard for me to read), and tell us more about what you have written here? Everything is rather cryptic.

Sure, thanks for the help. I'll attach what we've been given but the main part is the second constraint which is used to find the first order conditions.

1654265798736.png
1654265916228.png
1654265847040.png

I'm struggling to follow how L is solved in the answer

Sure, thanks for the help. I'll attach what we've been given but the main part is the second constraint which is used to find the first order conditions.

View attachment 32918
View attachment 32920
View attachment 32919

I'm struggling to follow how L is solved in the answer
Does this mean you are asking about this step?

1654282603621.png

If so, they just divided by [imath]\alpha[/imath], and raised both sides to the -1 power (changing the exponent to [imath]1-\alpha[/imath] and taking the reciprocal of the RHS) and raised both sides to the reciprocal power to isolate l.