Help Please!Problem with ratios!!!

lillybeth

Can someone please help me with this problem?
In a dance club where the ratio of men to women is 3to 1, _____ of the members are men.
1/3
*3/4

Why is the answer 3/4? Thanks!

Can someone please help me with this problem?
In a dance club where the ratio of men to women is 3to 1, _____ of the members are men.
1/3
*3/4

Why is the answer 3/4? Thanks!

Easiest way tho think of it is this. If there are 3 men and 1 woman in the club, then the ratio of men to women is 3 to 1. In addition, of the 4 total people in the club. 3 of them are men, thus 3/4 of the members in the club are men. This will be the case no matter how many men and women are in the club as long as the ratio of men to women is 3 to 1.

Easiest way tho think of it is this. If there are 3 men and 1 woman in the club, then the ratio of men to women is 3 to 1. In addition, of the 4 total people in the club. 3 of them are men, thus 3/4 of the members in the club are men. This will be the case no matter how many men and women are in the club as long as the ratio of men to women is 3 to 1.

Thanks! I get it now! :)

lillybeth,

To aid your understanding, let me pose a related question. If there are 30 men and 150 women in the club, then what is the ratio of men to women?

The ratio of men to women = Number of men/Number of women=30/150=1/5 or 1:5 (denoted using ':' and pronounced as: 1 'is to' 5 ). The ratio of men to women is 1 is to 5.

Alternatively,

The ratio of women to men= Number of women/Number of men=150/30=5/1 or 5:1 (denoted using ':' and pronounced as 5 'is to' 1 ). The ratio of women to men is 5 is to 1.

Cheers,
Sai.

Last edited:
lillybeth,

To aid your understanding, let me pose a related question. If there are 30 men and 150 women in the club, then what is the ratio of men to women?

The ratio of men to women = Number of men/Number of women=30/150=1/5 or 1:5 (denoted using ':' and pronounced as: 1 'is to' 5 ). The ratio of men to women is 1 is to 5.

Alternatively,

The ratio of women to men= Number of women/Number of men=150/30=5/1 or 5:1 (denoted using ':' and pronounced as 5 'is to' 1 ). The ratio of women to men is 5 is to 1.

Cheers,
Sai.

thanks for the example!