HELP PLEASE!VERY IMPORTANT!

math_moron

Hi,I'm 13 and my little sister needs help with her homework :oops: ,I just don't get it! :roll: Ok,the question is this:

Use the first six counting numbers (1-10) in an arrangement of three rows where the first row has three numbers,the second row has 2,and the third has one.All numbers are used just once.How many solutions are possible?
So basically,the chart looks like this:
--- --- ---
--- ---
---

They are supposed to be in triangular arrangements,which is the part that really confuses me if the triangle is like this
6 5 4
3 2
then you have to to do 6-5=3 5-4=3 and 3-2 =1

I don't get it,but hopefully SOMEONE can! :lol:
Good luck!

I doubt that there is any "formula" for this. You just have to start trying stuff. Plug numbers in and see what you can come up with.

Other opinions...?

Eliz.

stapel said:
I doubt that there is any "formula" for this. You just have to start trying stuff. Plug numbers in and see what you can come up with.

Other opinions...?

Eliz.

I tried putting six in the top most left corner thinking that would work,and basically tried everything,I really don't know what else to do. :cry: Thank you though :)

Well, the way you've worded the problems means LOTS of solutions:

and so on...

If it's your "little sister", and you're 13, then I doubt that she'd be asked
for the permutations of 6 numbers. I suggest you double-check the wording
of the question....and (perhaps) quit posing as your little sister :?:

Denis said:
Well, the way you've worded the problems means LOTS of solutions:

and so on...

If it's your "little sister", and you're 13, then I doubt that she'd be asked
for the permutations of 6 numbers. I suggest you double-check the wording
of the question....and (perhaps) quit posing as your little sister :?:

Sorry I must have worded it funny.What I meant is the first 2 numbers on the first row are subtracted to get the 1st numbers on the 2nd row,then the last 2 numbers on the first row are subtracted to get the 2 number on the second row.Then the numbers on the second row are subtracted to get the last number on the 3rd row.
and the numbers can't be repeated. Maybe it's simple and I'm overlooking something,but I don't know what else to try..thank you :)

Geesh...next time, be CLEAR!

6-1=5, 4-1=3
5-3=2

That's what you're after, right?

There's 7 other solutions:

...you're LUCKY my grandson is 13 8-)