help please

megganmassaro

this equation I have no idea where to start
its asking for a soloution is it possible?

a c
_ x = __
b d

If I am solving for S3

P = s1 + s2 + s3

do I add all the S's S6 then divide 6 into P?

Thanks for any help

1) I'm sorry, but I can't understand your post. Please reply using single-line formatting. If this is one equation and it contains fractions, please use the "slash" and grouping symbols to make your meaning clear. For instance, "1/3x" might mean:

. . . . .1/(3x)

...or:

. . . . .(1/3)x

When you reply, please include the instructions. Thank you.

2) Solve P = s1 + s2 + s3 for s3.

If the numbers are coefficients, so you actually mean "1s + 2s + 3s", then, yes, they can be combined, being "like" terms, to get "6s". Then solve for "s" (not "3s") by dividing through by "6".

If the numbers are exponents, so you actually mean "s<sup>1</sup> + s<sup>2</sup> + s<sup>3</sup>", then they cannot be combined, but then the "solving" part of the instructions doesn't make a whole lost of sense.

If the numbers are subscripts, so you actually mean "s<sub>1</sub> + s<sub>2</sub> + s<sub>3</sub>", then I have no idea on what basis these three different variables might be "combined" into a fourth variable, "s<sub>6</sub>", unless there is a whole lot more to this exercise that wasn't included.

Please reply with clarification. Thank you.

Eliz.

opps yea sorry its

a/bx = c/d

and the instruction is "what is the first step to solve an equation in the form a/b x = c/d ? What is the soloution of the equation

Josh is in my class and some of the problems on our HW is just crazy it gives little hints on what we are suppose to do we are in the linear equations and inequalities chapter on our book

then the next problem yes they are subscripts P = s1+s2+s3

Thanks!

for the P + s1+s2+s3 problem the direction was solve the formula for the specified varaible S3

megganmassaro said:
opps yea sorry its a/bx = c/d
Is that "a/(bx)" or "(a/b)x"?

megganmassaro said:
what is the first step to solve an equation in the form a/b x = c/d ?
Until they specify the variable for which you're supposed to solve, there is no way to guess how best to do that solving. (This equation has five variables. Which do they want isolated?)

megganmassaro said:
the next problem yes they are subscripts P = s1+s2+s3
Then subtract off everything that you don't want with the term to be isolated.

Eliz.