Help setting up Investment Problem

orchidpsycho

I need help setting this up. Word problems are hard for me.

Jack invests $1,000 at a certain annual interest rate, and he invests another $2,000 at an annual rate that is one-half percent higher. If he receives a total of $190 interest in one year, at what rate is the $1,000 invested?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

orchidpsycho said:
I need help setting this up. Word problems are hard for me.
Jack invests $1,000 at a certain annual interest rate, and he invests another $2,000 at an annual rate that is one-half percent higher. If he receives a total of $190 interest in one year, at what rate is the $1,000 invested?

Must be cause I'm a Canuck...but why are MOST problems called "WORD" problems?

x = rate on $1000; then rate on $2000 = x + .005 : 1/2% = .005

1000x + 2000(x + .005) = 190
solve for x

Denis said:
Must be cause I'm a Canuck...but why are MOST problems called "WORD" problems?
I think just about anything that isn't a straight calculation ("evaluate this", "solve that", etc) is called a "word" problem, at least in the US. Do they call them something else in Canada?

Eliz.

Thanks. That helps alot.I have to take a test today and I am very nervous. I am in computer programming and have not done algebra in about 15 years. It's alot to cram at once. My 2 classes this semester are C++ and algebra. The C++ is pretty easy but the algebra is kickin my butt. Thanks alot and wish me luck.

stapel said:
I think just about anything that isn't a straight calculation ("evaluate this", "solve that", etc) is called a "word" problem, at least in the US. Do they call them something else in Canada? Eliz.

Don't know; but Canadian teachers sure use lots of unnecessary words too!