Help w/ finance Q: using table, find total revenue at $4 pri

brian226

Price Quantity Total Revenue Marginal Revenue
$4 $100
$3
$2 $600 $0

Use the above information to answer the following questions. (Note: Answer these questions relying on economic theory. Do not use a linear equation, interpolation or extrapolation methods to fill in the table.)

1. What is the total revenue at a price of $4; a price of $3?

2. What is the quantity demanded at the price of $3; a price of $2?

3. What is the marginal revenue between the quantity 100 and the quantity (determined above) corresponding to a price of $3?

4. What is the price elasticity of demand between the prices of $3 and $2?

5. Besides using the formula, what other method can be used to determine price elasticity of demand in #4 above?

6. Do not use the elasticity formula to answer this question - is the price elasticity of demand between the prices $4 and $3 greater or less than what you determined in questions #4 and #5 above? Explain.

7. Use the formula and determine the exact value for the price elasticity of demand between $4 and $3.

Any ideas?

brian226 said:
$4 $100
$3
$2 $600 $0

Use the above information to answer the following questions....

What are your ideas?

Your problem specifically prohibits certain methods.

Start with telling us the definitions of the terms in question - like particular economic theories behind projecting demand, revenue, marginal revenue, etc.

I've already solved the total revenue for the price of $4 ($400), as well as the quantity for the price of $2 ($300). I just don't know how to get the quantity or total revenue at the price of $3.

I thought that I could possible try to use the midpoint, but I dont think that it works. The midpoint between 100 and 300 is 200...but this gave me the TR of 600 and an MR of 0. I know that you cant have 2 points both at 0.

I should state, I am not looking for the answers to all the questions. I just need to be able to fill in one of the slots for the $3 either, Q, TR, ot MR.... I can solve all the rest from there. (hopefully)

But I am truely stumped. I have sought help from a friend who was a business major and she is stumped as well. I am a little rusty, I graduated in 05, and I am takig this class to get into a policy grad program. Anything at this point will help.

Re: Help with math problem

This is what I have:

$4 $100 $400
$3
$2 300 $600 $0

Re: Help with math problem

The main reason (I think) nobody is able to help you is that - as posted your table is not spaced correctly and we cannot decipher it.

Subhotosh Khan said:
...as posted your table is not spaced correctly and we cannot decipher it.
As posted, the original table appears to be meant to be as follows:

Code:
+-------+----------+---------+----------+
|       |          |  Total  | Marginal |
| Price | Quantity | Revenue | Revenue  |
|    $4 |      100 |         |          |
|    $3 |          |         |          |
|    $2 |          |    $600 |       $0 |
Note that the "dollar" sign in the original post would thus appear to indicate a typo: Either the sign does not belong, or the "100" was placed incorrectly.

Eliz.