Help w/ finding other root of quadratic w/ vertex at (-3, 4), first root is at x = -5

AhmedSobhy

If the point (-3,4) is the vertex point of the curve of a quadratic function f and -5 is a root of the equation f(x)=0 then the other root is ......

But I need the steps not only the final answer

We understand what you need - but we need to know where you are stuck...

... and what you really need is to learn how to work out the steps yourself. That's why we want to work with you, not just give the answer with no effort on your part. See our submission guidelines.

Just so you know, there are several very different ways to go about this, so I'll want to use your ideas to see which method you're most likely to get. But the easiest is probably to use the symmetry of the graph.

If the point (-3,4) is the vertex point of the curve of a quadratic function f and -5 is a root of the equation f(x)=0 then what is the other root?

But I need the steps not only the final answer
From all the graphing you've done of quadratic equations and their associated parabolas, you know that the x-intercepts (that is, the real-valued roots) are equidistant from the axis of symmetry. And you know that the axis of symmetry passes through the vertex. So use that information. :geek:

Surely you know that any quadratic function can be written as y= a(x- b)(x- c) where b and c are the zeros of the function.. Knowing that x= -1 is a zero tells us that we can write y= a(x- b)(x+ 1)

Knowing that (-3, 4) is the vertex we know two things.
First we know that y(-3)= a(-3- b)(-3+ 1)= 2a(b+ 3)= 4.

Second, we know that the slope of the graph at x= -3 is 0. How you use that depends upon what you have learned. If you have studied Calculus, the derivative of y, y'= a(x+ 1)+ a(x- b) is 0 when x= -3. That is, y'(-3)= -2a+ a(-3- b)= 0 so -5a- ab= -a(b+ 5)= 0. Either a= 0 or b= -5. If a= 0, 2a(b+ 3)= 4 cannot be true so we must have b= -5. The other root is x= -5.

If you don't know Calculus, you can use the fact that vertex of a parabola is always exactly half way between its zeros! Here, one root is at x= -1 and the vertex is at x= -3. -1= -3+ 2 so the other root is at x= -3-2= -5.

Lacking either of those methods, you can "complete the square". If we write y= p(x- q)^2+ b then when x= q, y= b while for any other x, y is b plus or minus something, depending on the sign of p. That is, (q, b) is the vertex. Since we are told that (-3, 4) is the vertex, y= p(x+ 3)^2+ 4. Setting x= -1 y= 4p+ 4= 0 so p= -1. The formula is y= -(x+ 3)^2+ 4= 0 so (x+ 3)^2= 4, x+3= +/- 2. x= -3+ 2= -1 and x= -3- 2= -5.

Last edited:
Looks like Ahmed is AWOL.....
Possibly. Possibly not (eg: members don't need to log in to view replies to their thread, many students post no acknowledgement once they're finished with a thread, certain religious beliefs prevent students from working certain days of the week).

?

"certain religious beliefs prevent students from working certain days of the week."
I never work on days ending with "y"!

Possibly. Possibly not (eg: members don't need to log in to view replies to their thread, many students post no acknowledgement once they're finished with a thread, certain religious beliefs prevent students from working certain days of the week).

?
Probably a bigotted assumption on my part - but

The OPs name did not sound like any follower who would be stoned to death for picking "sticks" of wisdom on Saturday or Sunday (Friday is another issue!!)