G

Hi
I cannot remember how to do this:

(3-n)!

What does it look like?

I keep thinking it looks like this
(1-n)(2-n)(3-n)

but I'm not sure.

If you could let me know, I would really appreciate it.

Take care,
Beckie

Beckie said:
I cannot remember how to do this:

(3-n)!

What does it look like? I keep thinking it looks like this:

(1-n)(2-n)(3-n)

but I'm not sure.

The symbol ! after a number N means
N(N - 1)(N - 2)(N -- 3)............(N - N + 1)

If you realy mean (3 - n)!, then for n = 0, 1, 2, and 3, (3 - n)! = 6, 2, 1 and 1, respectively. (0! is considered to be 1)

If. by chance you meant (n - 3)!, then you would have

n....3....4....5....6....7....8....9....
N....1....1....2....6..24.120.720...

Thank you for your reply

I'm doing this really strange problem that I've never done before where I need to cancel out (n-1)! (etc) factorials, so I need to see how it is expanded out so I can see in my mind how to cancel them, otherwise I can't see it. I keep looking at the problem and I don't see how they could cancel out the factorials, but I am going to make a new post with the problem in there.

Take care,
Beckie

Beckie said:
I'm doing this really strange problem that I've never done before where I need to cancel out (n-1)! (etc) factorials, so I need to see how it is expanded out so I can see in my mind how to cancel them, otherwise I can't see it. I keep looking at the problem and I don't see how they could cancel out the factorials, but I am going to make a new post with the problem in there.
Can you be more specific about the exact problem you are trying to solve?

Beckie said:
...I need to cancel out (n-1)! (etc) factorials
You keep saying that you need to work with "n minus something, factorial", but then you post "something minus n, factorial". This is confusing.

Beckie said:
I need to see how it is expanded
Without a value for n, the best that can be done with what you've already been given. Sorry.

Eliz.