Help with a Pre-Calc Question, hope I'm on the right thread

panamarojo1989

Hi, I'm stuck on this question, could anyone work it out for me?

Attachments

• IMG_3840.jpeg
    IMG_3840.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
You misunderstand what we do. We do not give answers (except in rare cases). We help students solve a problem on his or her own. One way we do that is to give hints.

Hint 1: If a polynomial has only real coefficients and is of degree 2n - 1, it can be factored into n quadratics and one linear factor, all with real coefficients.

Hint 2: If a quadratic has real coefficients, it can be factored into two linear terms with real coefficients or with a pair of conjugate complex numbers.

Isn't it clear that x=1 is zero? If 6i is a solution, then what is another solution? What factors do you have from these zeros? These factors will get you down to a quadratic factor.

Show us your work, please!

Well I got up to here LOL. You might not believe me but I used to be good at this

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 4.33.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 4.33.27 PM.png
    1,020 KB · Views: 6
1593981951142.png

First, go back and read the relevant section of your textbook. It should tell you that if 6i is a zero, then so is -6i. It should also tell you how to use synthetic division, or long division, to start the process of factoring. Give that a try, and show us how far you can get doing that.

(The work you show does not go in the direction of factoring at all.)

Synthetic division! that's right! I don't have a book I'm doing this purely out of fun between my buddies. Ok let me give it a try I used to be good at synthetic division.

You usually only want to factor an equation when I side is 0.
So know you have 3 zeros; x=1, x=6i and x=-6i. Then 3 factors must be x-1, x-6i and x+6i. Multiply these out and then divide that factor into the original polynomial using long division. Then factor that quotient. Now you will have the 6 linear factors.

You usually only want to factor an equation when I side is 0.
So know you have 3 zeros; x=1, x=6i and x=-6i. Then 3 factors must be x-1, x-6i and x+6i. Multiply these out and then divide that factor into the original polynomial using long division. Then factor that quotient. Now you will have the 6 linear factors.
There are, of course, many ways to proceed. I wouldn't have said that x=1 is an obvious zero (though with experience one might know to check for that possibility). You can divide separately by x-6i, then x+6i, using synthetic division; and then see if another zero becomes more obvious; or you can take various shortcuts, some using long division.

Synthetic division! that's right! I don't have a book I'm doing this purely out of fun between my buddies. Ok let me give it a try I used to be good at synthetic division.
That sure looks to me like a course someone is taking! It even has a course number in the current semester. And such software commonly includes access to some sort of teaching ...

Because the student will probably not be able to do so on the test.
That is exactly my point: why would that be on a test?
If you were testing would you require students to find \(\sqrt{13}\) by hand?
I really doubt that in twenty years that any calculus textbook will have a chapter on techniques of integration.
Small tablet computers with computer algebra systems are going to change mathematics the way calculators did twenty years ago.
Today it is unthinkable to test a student requiring that \(\left(1+\sqrt{33}\right)^{10}\) be evaluated without a calculator.

That is exactly my point: why would that be on a test?
If you were testing would you require students to find \(\sqrt{13}\) by hand?
I really doubt that in twenty years that any calculus textbook will have a chapter on techniques of integration.
Small tablet computers with computer algebra systems are going to change mathematics the way calculators did twenty years ago.
Today it is unthinkable to test a student requiring that \(\left(1+\sqrt{33}\right)^{10}\) be evaluated without a calculator.
Oh, I agree with you that it makes absolutely no sense in the modern world to put such things on a test. That does not at all entail that it will not be on a test. "Should not" and "will not" have very distinct meanings. if I had my way, no one would bother any longer with teaching mathematical mechanics. Everything would be word problems; how do you translate this problem into symbols that a computer can cope with? In the meantime, diligent students want and need to pass inane tests. You are talking to future teachers. I am talking to current students.

I am concerned about one thing which I mentioned before. Students need to learn how to think! Now if 'the new math' can teach students how to think mathematically then I fully agree with the attitude shown by pka. That would be great that students did not need to learn techniques which a computer/calculator can do as I agree that it is useless to learn solely to be able to get the answer. Using WO can do that for you.

The piece of info you're missing is this: If 6i is a zero then (x^2 + 36 ) is a factor. If you can divide, the other part is just a cubic.

Last edited: