Help with deciding which math courses to take

rachel7

I'm sorry if this is posted in this wrong place...I wasn't quite sure which forum to post in.

I’m currently taking MTH 160C (College Algebra) as one of my classes at my community college. Next fall, I'll be transferring to a 4-year university but I want to take one of my required math classes at the community college in the spring so I don't miss a whole semester plus a summer of math. I only need 3 math classes for my major: Discrete Structures, Statistics for Natural Science, and the College Algebra class I'm currently in. My question is: the prereqs for both of these classes are "MTH 160 or higher level math course". Which classes should I take and in what order? Would I really be ready for either of those classes right after MTH 160? If so, which one? Thanks so much for your help!

Last edited:
My first response is: "Kindly chat up your academic advisers."

I earned my AS degree at a community college, and then transferred to university. While I was attending the community college, I would generally contact advising at both schools (that is, made sure everybody was on the same page), when I had questions about courses, curriculum, or requirements.

Schools differ vastly. For example, I have no idea what subjects are covered in your particular MTH160C course. I would say, in general, that "identical" courses at 2-yr and 4-yr institutions are "easier" at the 2-yr college. Perhaps, you may want to think about which of those other two courses will be the most difficult for you, and choose to take that course at the community college.

If your algebra course is the third of a complete sequence (160A, 160B, 160C) to include things like Sigma notation and some introductory proofs, and you've done well, then you likely have the skills to succeed in both statistics and discrete structures. Statistics may be taken at any time, after one gains a strong foundation in algebra; it's heavy on formulas and the manipulation of formulas. Discrete structures deals with sets of numbers, the divisibility of these numbers, primes, and writing proofs by induction. It's heavy on mental effort; it deals with logical reasoning. Both statistics and discrete math involve additional abstraction from what you're used to in algebra (i.e., lot's of new symbols and notation to learn).

Again, I have no way of comparing curriculum or advising specifically for you because schools differ vastly.

My second response is: "Kindly chat up your academic advisers."

By the way, here are two links, if you have any interest in browsing through some statistics and some discrete structures topics.

Cheers :cool:

Last edited:
assist.org tells you which classes are transferable and what city college classes are equivalent to what UC classes.