Help with Derivatives and Tangent Lines

cole92

Okay so my school is trying out a new schedule which is TERRIBLE and it has cut our class time in half. My teacher hates it and he can't hardly teach in my opinion anyway. We go over homework and then spend 10 minutes on a new section only to get about 50 problems for homework with questions he never taught us how to do. Can anyone just please walk me through a couple of examples so I can at least attempt the homework for tonight? I am getting really stressed with this and I don't want to quit but between the new schedule and all of my AP classes (Calculus included) it almost isn't worth it.

The main style of questions I am having issues with are ones like this:
Find the slope of the tangent line to the graph of the function at the specified point.
1. 3 - 2X , (-1, 5)
2. (3/2)X + 1 , (-2, -2)

On my teacher's notes, he wrote the equation [ f(x+h) - f(x) ] / h ... I am sure that I use this somehow, but when I looked at how the numbers were plugged in, I didn't really get where they came from. Any help on how to do this would be wonderful because I just can't seem to figure it out. Oh, the example I was referring to was this:

f(x) = 2x - 3 , (3,3) (2,1) <-- this is like the couple I was asking for help with I think?

So his work looked like this:

f ' (x) = lim h--> 0 [ 2(2+h) - 3 - 1 ] / h
= lim h--> 0 (4 + 2h - 4) / h
= 2

I see how step 2 and 3 works but I don't get how he plugged in the numbers. Again any help would me greatly received and appreciated.
And sorry for not using proper math text, but I couldn't figure out how to do the limits and all. I need to go read about those...apologies.

cole92 said:
Find the slope of the tangent line to the graph of the function at the specified point.
1. 3 - 2X , (-1, 5) …

The function above is linear.

f(x) = -2x + 3

What do you suppose a tangent line to the graph of function f would look like?

cole92 said:
Okay so my school is trying out a new schedule which is TERRIBLE and it has cut our class time in half. My teacher hates it and he can't hardly teach in my opinion anyway. We go over homework and then spend 10 minutes on a new section only to get about 50 problems for homework with questions he never taught us how to do. Can anyone just please walk me through a couple of examples so I can at least attempt the homework for tonight? I am getting really stressed with this and I don't want to quit but between the new schedule and all of my AP classes (Calculus included) it almost isn't worth it.

The main style of questions I am having issues with are ones like this:
1. 3 - 2X , (-1, 5)
2. (3/2)X + 1 , (-2, -2)

On my teacher's notes, he wrote the equation [ f(x+h) - f(x) ] / h ... I am sure that I use this somehow, but when I looked at how the numbers were plugged in, I didn't really get where they came from. Any help on how to do this would be wonderful because I just can't seem to figure it out. Oh, the example I was referring to was this:

f(x) = 2x - 3 , (3,3) (2,1) <-- this is like the couple I was asking for help with I think?

So his work looked like this:

f(x+h) = 2(2+h)-3

f(2) = 1

f ' (x) = lim h--> 0 [ 2(2+h) - 3 - 1 ] / h
= lim h--> 0 (4 + 2h - 4) / h
= 2

I see how step 2 and 3 works but I don't get how he plugged in the numbers. Again any help would me greatly received and appreciated.
And sorry for not using proper math text, but I couldn't figure out how to do the limits and all. I need to go read about those...apologies.

\(\displaystyle We \ have \ f(x) \ = \ 2x-3, \ now \ f \ ' \ (x) \ = \ \lim_{h\to0} \ \frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}.\)

\(\displaystyle Ergo, \ f \ ' \ (x) \ = \ \lim_{h\to0} \ \frac{2(x+h)-3-(2x-3)}{h}\)

\(\displaystyle f \ ' \ (x) \ = \ \lim_{h\to0} \ \frac{2x+2h-3-2x+3}{h}\)

\(\displaystyle f \ ' \ (x) \ = \ \lim_{h\to0} \ \frac{2h}{h} \ = \ 2.\)

\(\displaystyle Perhaps \ this \ will \ clear \ up \ your \ problem.\)