Help With Equation

gzgz

Hi, I’m new to this website so apologies if I posted this in the wrong topic.

I was wondering if someone could guide me step-by-step into how to solve this equation.
1/3 (-4) + 4

*The (-4) is attached to the whole fraction, not just the denominator.*

Hi.
What grade are you studying now? Have you studied who gets priority in arithmetic operations?
If the -4 was supposed to multiply the denominator you would have written 1/(3(-4))

Try to use the following rules for your exercise:
Parentheses outrank exponents, which outrank multiplication and division (but multiplication and division are at the same rank), and multiplication and division outrank addition and subtraction (which are together on the bottom rank). In other words, the precedence is:

1. Parentheses (simplify inside 'em)
  2. Exponents
  3. Multiplication and Division (from left to right)
  4. Addition and Subtraction (from left to right)

… wondering if someone could guide me step-by-step [in] how to solve this equation.

1/3 (-4) + 4
Hi gzgz. First, a note about vocabulary. We don't call that an equation. (All equations contain an equals sign.) We call it an 'expression'. Your job is to 'simplify' the given expression. That is, they'd like you to express its value, as a single fraction.

In the first reply, yoscar posted about the Order of Operations. Your expression contains two arithmetic operations (addition and multiplication). Order of Operations tells us to do the multiplication before the addition.

Hopefully, you've already learned how to multiply a Whole number by a fraction (like one-third times four). If that's where you got stuck, let us know.

Next, have you learned the rules for determining the sign of a product, when multiplying signed numbers? If not, check your textbook's index or use the link, to learn the rules.

After multiplying \(\frac{1}{3}\) × \(\text{-}\frac{4}{1}\), you'll need to get a common denominator, before adding the 4 at the end. That topic was covered, before assigning this exercise. If the concept of common denominators is where you need help, then please review how to add fractions (let us know, if you don't understand your textbook).

Otherwise, please show us how far you got, so that we may see what you're trying. Thanks.

*The (-4) is attached to the whole fraction, not just the denominator.*
That's correct. Were we to type a different fraction whose numerator is 1 and denominator is 3(4), we would enclose the denominator inside grouping symbols. Like this:

1/(3(4)) \(\quad\) OR \(\quad\) 1/[3(4)]

?

The addition sign in 1/3 ( -4) + 4 tells us what we are adding. We are adding [math]\dfrac{1}{3}* ^-4[/math] and 4. So figure out what [math]\dfrac{1}{3}*^-4[/math] equals and then add 4 to that.

Please show us your work so that we can better guide you.