Help with first order differential equation

bumpjump

Help with the integration steps of a first order differential equation

I'll try to be as thorough as possible :)

The problem:

(2x^4 + x^3 - 2x^2 + 2x - 12)dy/dx = (2x^5 - 3x^4 + 3x^3 + 10x^2 - 17x - 22)y*Sqrt[ln^2(y) + ln(y) + 1]

I separated and got all the x's and y's on one side:

(1/y*Sqrt[ln^2(y) + ln(y) + 1])dy = ((2x^5 - 3x^4 + 3x^3 + 10x^2 - 17x - 22)/(2x^4 + x^3 - 2x^2 + 2x - 12))dx

Then I tried to integrate both sides:

Int[(1/y)(1/Sqrt[ln^2(y) + ln(y) + 1])dy] = Int[((2x^5 - 3x^4 + 3x^3 + 10x^2 - 17x - 22)/(2x^4 + x^3 - 2x^2 + 2x - 12))dx]

I made a u-substitution for the left side and got:

u = ln(y)
du = (1/y)dy

------> Int[(1/Sqrt[u^2 + u + 1])du

On the right side, I used polynomial division to get:

((2x^5 - 3x^4 + 3x^3 + 10x^2 - 17x - 22)/(2x^4 + x^3 - 2x^2 + 2x - 12)) = (x-2) ((3x^3 - 4x^2 - x + 2)/(2x^4 + x^3 - 2x^2 + 2x - 12))

I then factored the denominator and got:

((2x^5 - 3x^4 + 3x^3 + 10x^2 - 17x - 22)/(2x^4 + x^3 - 2x^2 + 2x - 12)) = (x-2) ((3x^3 - 4x^2 - x + 2)/((x^3(2x + 1)) - (2(x + 3)(x - 2)))

Where do I go from here? I'm not sure how to integrate the left side of the equation -- I looked for trig substitutions but couldn't find anything that fit the form

dx/(x^2 + x + 1)

and I don't know how to break down the right side of the equation now into partial fractions.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
The rational function you are trying to integrate is not pretty. Are you sure it has been copied correctly?

As for the y-integral:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \int \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{u^2+u+1}} du =\int \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{\left(u+\frac{1}{2}\right)^2+\frac{3}{4}}} du = \int \dfrac{1}{\sqrt{v^2+a^2}} dv \)

where

\(\displaystyle v= u+\frac{1}{2}, a=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}\)

I forgot to add a +2x term in the denominator of the x-integral but I've added that now. My DE professor is notorious for writing complex problems :)

I used your method for the y-integral and it ended up substituting neatly into sinh^-1 (v/a). Any ideas on the x-integral?

Thanks so much for your help.

Last edited:
I forgot to add a +2x term in the denominator of the x-integral but I've added that now. My DE professor is notorious for writing complex problems :)

I used your method for the y-integral and it ended up substituting neatly into sinh^-1 (v/a). Any ideas on the x-integral?

Thanks so much for your help.

Edit: I apologize, I did not see the h after the sin! You are correct about that.

The other integral is now relatively straight-forward. The denominator factors now: \(\displaystyle (2+x) (-3+2 x) (2+x^2)\)

After long-division, you can use partial fractions to obtain (I used a CAS):

\(\displaystyle -2+x+\dfrac{1}{3-2 x}+\dfrac{2}{2+x}+\dfrac{2 x}{2+x^2} + \dfrac{5}{2+x^2}\)

Last edited:
So adding that last step, I now have this equation:

sinh-1((2ln(y) + 1)/Sqrt[3]) = ((x2 - 4x)/2) + ((1/2)ln(3 - 2x) + (2ln(x + 2)) + ln(x2 + 2) + ((5tan-1(x/Sqrt[2]))/Sqrt[2] + K

where K =C1 + C2 + C3 + C4 + C5

How do I isolate y now? Should I take the sinh of both sides to get rid of sinh-1 on the left? Also how do I make posts with proper math notation?

Thanks for your help!

Yes about isolating y. The formatting used on this (and many other) sites as well as most professional mathematics papers is a language called LaTeX. It takes a bit of time to learn, I suggest quoting posts on this site that have used it to learn some. You may practice yourself using the "preview" function when making a post.

For example, typing

Code:
[tex]\frac{a^2+b^2}{2} \ge \sqrt{a^2b^2}=|ab| \iff 0 \le a^2+b^2-2|ab|[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\int_{a}^{x}f(t) dt = f(x)[/tex]

Results in

\(\displaystyle \frac{a^2+b^2}{2} \ge \sqrt{a^2b^2}=|ab| \iff 0 \le a^2+b^2-2|ab|\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx}\int_{a}^{x}f(t) dt = f(x)\)