Help with formula? Define "centerpoints" with defined variables

jerryman

Hello everyone,

I have a question that I'm trying to solve o_O, I will try to list as much complete information as possible. This might be a long shot but hopefully I could use the below questions to find a formula I could enter into excel and define variables to produce an answer. If you feel like the question is missing a parameter please just ask. I will explain and then give an example.

The total length of a line can measure various lengths but will always be divisible by 3 (example: 79'-6") (Define as "L").

The line will be broken into segments that will be no more than 10' but not less than 5' (also always divisible by 3) (Define as "S").

Inside the segments above there are additional segments (Define as "Z_"). There are no less than 2 and no more than 4 (example: 10' divided by 4 equals a total of four 30" segments). "Z" should be definable within a range as "greater than <X inches" but "less than >Y".

Inside of the above segment ( "Z_") there is a point (Define as "C") that use 1 segment of ( "Z_" ) but exclude the following segment of ( "Z_" ) from being used. The point ( "C" ) will be located near center of ( "Z_") that it is located. These points can be known and measured!

What formula can be used if "L" and "C" are known, to output variables for "S" and "Z" within defined parameters?

Thanks you for reading my question, I truly appreciate you and any help you could provide! :D

Attachments

• example.jpg
    example.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 5
Hi, your question isn't clear to me so I'll point out the first part where I'm confused...
The line will be broken into segments that will be no more than 10' but not less than 5' (also always divisible by 3) (Define as "S").

OK, so S=6 or S=9 since these are the only two numbers divisible by 3 that are between 5 and 10. So far so good.

Then I opened your example image and I saw a problem:-

There are two different values for the variable "S" in the one diagram. This is a "no no". The value for "S" in one diagram should be self-consistent. So if you use "S" twice in a diagram then it should refer to exactly the same length. Does your diagram attempt to show two different examples? (if so then it would be better to draw two separate diagrams for the two scenarios)

EDIT: I just noticed that the values for "S" are in feet, so when divided by 3 this can give a whole number of inches. It would probably be easier to keep the variables all measured in "inches"

I guess that you're not a math student and you have some "real world" problem to solve!