Help with rearranging equation

snakehead

Hi,

In my book it says that the equation ax²=b can be written in the form x²=a/b but I don't understand how they've done that.

If I were to rearrange it, I always get x²=b/a because I think since the b is already on the right, the a must go underneath.

Is there some rule that lets you rearrange as my book says or is it wrong?

Thank you very much.

Hi,

In my book it says that the equation ax²=b can be written in the form x²=a/b but I don't understand how they've done that.

If I were to rearrange it, I always get x²=b/a because I think since the b is already on the right, the a must go underneath.

Is there some rule that lets you rearrange as my book says or is it wrong?

Thank you very much.
The book is wrong. You are right.

Unless there's something you've left out or assumed; can you show us an image of what the book says in context?

I suspect they are thinking only of the form (a ratio of two quantities), and not of the actual result from the previously given equation (treating a and b as the same values as before). But even so, it's very misleading, and I'd call it a mistake.

Also, it's always incorrect to claim that some b can be any number, when using expressions like a/b.

PS: I think x^2 = c is the simplest expression of their first claim, so I would've started with that and then progressed to other leading coefficients.

?