Help with this trig equation.

mastermindarmen

Hello everyone. I need help solving this trigonometric equation:

sin ( x + pi/6 ) - cos (2/3 pi - x) = cos^2(x)

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the help.
Use theorems:

Sin(A+B) = Sin(A) * Cos(B) + Sin(B) * Cos(A)...... and

Cos(A+B) = Cos(A) * Cos(B) - Sin(B) * Sin(A) ............and continue

Thanks for the help.
Assuming that by "solving" the equation you mean finding a value (or an expression) for "x", you need to begin by using Trigonometric Identities (some of which have been provided for you above) and further information is available here and here.

For example:- [math]cos(\frac{2}{3}\pi-x)=cos(\frac{2}{3}\pi)\times cos(x)+sin(\frac{2}{3}\pi)\times sin(x)[/math]
So you need to replace all the terms in your original equation with expansions like the above then re-arrange (and simplify) it to make x the subject of the equation.

You may find it easier to do this if you use the exact values of certain trig. ratios (eg: sin 30° =
\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}\)). If you don't know these then you can find many of the most often 'used' ones if you copy & complete the worksheet I have added at the end of this post. (These crop up in trigonometric problems very often so it's very worthwhile getting to know them.)

Please come back and show us your work (a picture will suffice, as long as it's neat & legible and the right way up!).

If you still cannot reach a final answer (after following the advice already given) then show us your modified equation (with suitable expansions) and how you've tried to rearrange it so that x is on the LHS and further advice will be offered.

Hope that helps. 😊

Worksheet on Exact Values. (Right-click & Save to your device.)
Exact-Values.png

Last edited: