Help with Trig equation and all solutions

futuremathwiz

Hello, can someone please explain why were adding just pi and not two pi to this trig equation. I kept reading my textbook and everywhere online and they all say cos and sin have a periodicity of two pi while tan has a periodicity of just pi. Im sorta just lost now on Question 33.

cRPpOEUYSeGGziN9azdKGA.jpg

THAgIwOPTAi1X1LlC1KpfQ.jpg

Last edited:
Hello, and welcome to FMH! :)

Equation 33 implies:

[MATH]\cos(\theta)=\pm\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/MATH]
I would write the solution as:

[MATH]\theta=\frac{\pi}{4}+\frac{\pi}{2}k=\frac{\pi}{4}(2k+1)[/MATH]
This is equivalent to the solution given in your image, but more succinctly written. There is a solution in all 4 quadrants because of both signs being present when we take the square root of the cosine function.

Hello, can someone please explain why were adding just pi and not two pi to this trig equation. I kept reading my textbook and everywhere online and they all say cos and sin have a periodicity of two pi while tan has a periodicity of just pi. Im sorta just lost now on Question 33.
It sounds like you are trying to work backward from the solution, and you think the [MATH]+k\pi[/MATH] would be due to the period being [MATH]\pi[/MATH]. That's a dangerous thing to do; there is no such period involved here.

I hope you have read MarkFL's answer, and worked along with him to see where the answer comes from:

There are two values for the cosine: (a) [MATH]\cos(\theta) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/MATH] and (b) [MATH]\cos(\theta) = -\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/MATH].

Each of these equations has two solutions within one cycle: (a) [MATH]\theta = \frac{\pi}{4}[/MATH] or [MATH]\theta = \frac{7\pi}{4}[/MATH]; (b) [MATH]\theta = \frac{3\pi}{4}[/MATH] or [MATH]\theta = \frac{5\pi}{4}[/MATH]. Both MarkFL's answer and the book's answer are attempts to combine these into one or two expressions (adding [MATH]+2k\pi[/MATH] to cover coterminal angles).