Help with trig/mechanics question

NewAccount

2C49127E-23AB-4344-99CD-B2BFD981925B.jpeg
Can anyone help with this question? The answers given are 119.3 and 33.8 but I can’t see how to get to them

View attachment 14163
Can anyone help with this question? The answers given are 119.3 and 33.8 but I can’t see how to get to them
Did you draw a free-body-diagram?

Break-up the applied force (Y) along the slope and perpendicular to the slope. Take weight and friction forces and normal force (perpendicular to the slope - into account through equations of equilibrium and solve.

If you are still stuck - include your FBD and rest of the work and we can help.

Did you draw a free-body-diagram?

Break-up the applied force (Y) along the slope and perpendicular to the slope. Take weight and friction forces and normal force (perpendicular to the slope - into account through equations of equilibrium and solve.

If you are still stuck - include your FBD and rest of the work and we can help.
I did the diagram but where do I go from there, I got R = mgcos40 + ysin40
Therefore Friction = 0.3(mgcos40 + y sin 40) but that doesn’t help me with what y is

Attachments

• DAA7AF3B-5D1C-44E9-9AB4-E1306786E25E.jpeg
    DAA7AF3B-5D1C-44E9-9AB4-E1306786E25E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
I did the diagram but where do I go from there, I got R = mgcos40 + ysin40
Therefore Friction = 0.3(mgcos40 + y sin 40) but that doesn’t help me with what y is
Assume the forces are concurrent (acting at a point - particle

Apply the conditions for static equilibrium.

What are the forces in x-direction (assume positive x direction to be up the slope)?

Y - 0.3*R -(8*9.81)*sin(40) = 0...............................................(1)

What are the forces in y-direction (assume positive y direction to be normal to the slope)?

R - (8*9.81)*cos(40) = 0 .........................................................(2).................. edited

You have two equations and two unknowns (Y and R) - solve!

Last edited by a moderator:

What are the forces in x-direction (assume positive x direction to be up the slope)?

Y - 0.3*R -(8*9.81)*sin(40) = 0...............................................(1)

What are the forces in y-direction (assume positive y direction to be normal to the slope)?

R - (8*9.81)*sin(40) = 0 .........................................................(2)

Then R = 78.4sin40 = 50.39
Y = (0.3x50.39) + 50.39
Y = 15.12 + 50.39
Y = 65.51
And that isn’t the answer?
Or have I done something wrong

Then R = 78.4sin40 = 50.39
Y = (0.3x50.39) + 50.39
Y = 15.12 + 50.39
Y = 65.51
And that isn’t the answer?
Or have I done something wrong
In response #2 - I wrote the 2nd equation wrong _ I have edited it. Please fix your calculations accordingly.

Sorry about that.

Hey Otis - are you still in the corner? Need some company?

In response #2 - I wrote the 2nd equation wrong _ I have edited it. Please fix your calculations accordingly.

Sorry about that.

Hey Otis - are you still in the corner? Need some company?
I’m sorry I’m still confused, that still isn’t giving me the given answer?

Scratch my response #2 - I gave you solution when the force is parallel to the plane.

I am getting in hurry and making "intelligent" mistakes! I'll post correct solution to-morrow.

In the meantime I am retracting my posts.

Y*cos(40) - 0.3*R -(8*9.81)*sin(40) = 0...............................................(1).................. edited

-Y*sin(40) + R - (8*9.81)*cos(40) = 0 .........................................................(2).................. edited

This should (will) give you correct solution for impending motion "up the hill".