HELP!

.38&Skynyrdfan said:
How do you make a angle with a straightedge and a compass?

I have a friend who knows tons of information about this stuff...you can contact himhere

Thanks so much,darlin'....I couldnt find a thing...still need help.

.38&Skynyrdfan said:
How do you make a angle with a straightedge and a compass?
You'll have to be more specific. You do not need a compass to draw just any old angle. The straightedge is sufficient. Do you mean "copy" an angle?

There should be a description of this in your textbook. Do you have one?

Do you have "Traditional" tools?

The traditional straightedge has no markings or scoring of any kind. It doesn't measure anything and cannot be used to "remember" anything.

The traditional compass is non-rigid. When you pick it up, it collapses. Again, it cannot be used to "remember" anything.

Have we these restrictions? It's much easier with a compass that does NOT collapse.

Really Big Hint:
1) From the vertex (C), draw an arc to intersect both rays (A & B).
2) A, B, C defines a unique isosceles triangle from which any of the three angles can be borrowed.

THH, I don't remember, and can think of no use for a collapsing compass. If it cannot be used to transfer the length of a line, where it it useful??? Only drawing one circle?
----------------
Gene

It is useful for following the traditional rules, unless I just made that up. :)

It is useful for constructing the locus of points equidistant from a given point.

You knew I was going to say that. :wink:

Apparently, that is what the ancient Greeks had and used. If one wants to be a purist, only a collapsible compass and markless straightedge is used. I had a geometry teacher who had these things and demonstrated with them. He done pretty good. These are the so-called "Euclidean tools".

It was with these tools Gauss made his theorem that a regular n-gon is constructible iff n is either a power of two, or the product of two distinct Fermat primes.

Hmmmm. How would you bisect an angle with that rule in effect. For me it requires TWO arcs of the same length and you won't let me do that, you rotten person :evil:
--------------------
Gene

PS Never mind. I figured it out. Still don't like it but... :oops: