Help

Jbrack14

Help me come up with a formula for this problem. We are working with systems of inequalities, and word problems to come up with formulas. But i cant seem to come up with a formula for this word problem:

A coin bank contains $17.00 in pennies and nickels. If there are 1140 coins in the bank, how many of the coins are nickels?

I have tried a few systems and none of them make any sense to me... Any help?

wow 20 minutes and no one has even viewed... I can get better help from a calculator. :?

ok that is kinda easy you would have you total equals x(your nickles) times 0.01 i think then just solve for x but i may be mistaken

the best ive gotten so far is the system
x(nickels) + y(pennies) = $17.00
x(nickels) + y(pennies) = 1140

but i dont see any way to combine the system to find x...

no wait...

5x + 1y = 17.00
x + y = 1140 then solve the system. I think that must be it let me try

ok so you take the amount and find out how many nickles and pennys you need to reach that answer by using that many coins

Jbrack14 said:
35 friken minutes...
I'm sorry but, as the "Read Before Posting" thread that you read before posting told you:

The forum Admin said:
Have patience. There is no paid staff waiting on-hand to give instant replies. Many of the volunteer tutors have "real" jobs, and they all have to sleep from time to time. The people "viewing" your posts may be fellow students. Please don't be offended if there are "views" but no replies. It may take hours, even days, for a tutor, qualified in your topic's area, to respond.
Whoever told you that this was not correct, that you could in fact receive instant on-demand "live" replies, was very much mistaken. Sorry! :oops:

Since you need a service which this site plainly declares that it do not (and can not) provide, you will want to contract with a paid service which offers what you seek. Please exercise caution, however, as many "we'll do your homework right away" sites are not, shall we say, entirely "on the up and up". :shock:

My best wishes to you in your studies! :D

Eliz.

Jbrack14 said:
wow 20 minutes and no one has even viewed... I can get better help from a calculator. :?

You are certainly more than welcome to use your calculator to get this answer.