Holey crypt

Yep.
Dictionary.com:

Dr.
1Doctor.

2 Drive (used in street names).

How does the DR work? Short for drive?
In the U.S.A., road names have both common abbreviations and official, postal abbreviations.

Str and St are common abbreviations for 'Street', and 'ST' is the official, postal abbreviation.

For 'Circle', Crcl and Cir are common, and CIR is official.

I'm sure one can google for a complete list of abbreviations, but here are some more official examples (from memory):

RTE is Route

HWY is Highway

PKWY is Parkway

FWY is Freeway

GTWY is Gateway

LN is Lane

TER is Terrace

JCT is Junction

RD is Road

VIA is Viaduct

AVE is Avenue

CT is Court

XRDS is Crossroads

XING is Crossing

BLVD is Boulevard

COR is Corner

:cool:

Thankyou. We have similar abbreviations here in Australia. In fact, I live in a crescent (Cres). I just didn't think of that … duh!

Do you pronounce 'root' and 'route' the same? I would, were I to say, "A tree root has cracked a part of Route 66." :)

Last edited:
In the U.S.A., road names have both common abbreviations and official, postal abbreviations.

Str and St are common abbreviations for 'Street', and 'ST' is the official, postal abbreviation.

For 'Circle', Crcl and Cir are common, and CIR is official.

I'm sure one can google for a complete list of abbreviations, but here are some more official examples (from memory):

RTE is Route

HWY is Highway

PKWY is Parkway

FWY is Freeway

GTWY is Gateway

LN is Lane

TER is Terrace

JCT is Junction

RD is Road

VIA is Viaduct

AVE is Avenue

CT is Court

XRDS is Crossroads

XING is Crossing

BLVD is Boulevard

COR is Corner

:cool:
Can someone please explain to me why we drive on a parkway but park on a driveway? Shouldn't that be reversed??

Last edited:
… why we drive on a parkway but park on a driveway …
I drive on driveways and parkways, and I park on parkways and driveways. I can't really explain why, other than: just a part of urban/suburban drivin'. :cool:

Yes we do - proper English! You guys pronounce route to rhyme with out, is that right?
That's right, some parts of the country say 'rout'. I've always said 'root', just like I hear it said. I'm fairly close to Canada …

Last edited:
Yes we do - proper English! You guys pronounce route to rhyme with out, is that right?
But .... Americans cannot get their kicks on "route" 66....

"Route" rhyming with "out" is only used when we (Indians) beat Australia in Cricket........