homework help please.

NicholasJ

Ok so i have the weekend to do my homework,so i can correct it if it's wrong, but this is a true or false question.

I write square root because i don't know the alt keys to make the actual symbol.

The square root of 16 - square root of 9 = square root of 7.I put false because the square root of 16 is 4, the square root of 9 is 3,and the square root of 7 is 2.645
so, 4-3=1, not 2.645, that's my logic,is it correct?thanks because i have alot of questions like this.

Also, when the square root symbol is around 100 divided by 25(by around i mean the 100 and 25 are inside the square root symbol), which looks like 100 and under it is 25 seperated by a horizontal line,which i took to be division.Anyway back to my question,if the square root symbol is around the 100/25, do i do 100 divided by 25 first,so 4,then do the square root of 4 equalling 2?Please help, there is no instructions on how to do this in my excersise book.

NicholasJ said:
I write square root because i don't know the alt keys to make the actual symbol.
There are links in the "Forum Help" pull-down menu at the very top of every forum page that explain how to use LaTeX formatting, such as:

. . . . .\(\displaystyle \L \sqrt{16}\, -\, \sqrt{9}\)

To work with simple text, use the formatting explained in Karl's Notes, such as:

. . . . .sqrt(16) - sqrt(9)

NicholasJ said:
The square root of 16 - square root of 9 = square root of 7.I put false because the square root of 16 is 4, the square root of 9 is 3,and the square root of 7 is 2.645
Correct.

NicholasJ said:
Also, when the square root symbol is around 100 divided by 25...do i do 100 divided by 25 first,so 4,then do the square root of 4 equalling 2?
Either way will work:

. . . . .sqrt(100/25) = sqrt(4) = 2

. . . . .sqrt(100/25) = sqrt(100) / sqrt(25) = 10 / 5 = 2

To learn how to work with radicals (since your book and class didn't cover it), try some online lessons.

Eliz.

thank's alot eliz, and i will start using the latex format.Anyways, i just got into a new school, i'm in grade 7.The school is all accelerated math so i'm like grade 7 doing normal grade 8 math.The elementary school I went to wasn't a very good school, but in my area there wasn't too many good schools, so once i hit the grade 7 accelerated math, i sorta struggled at first,but my brother is an accountant and was able to help me understand,so i'm doing good with his help and this site, and i'm not struggling that much any more.

Thanks to everybody on freemathhelp for aiding me :)