Homework Help

LiamT988

Hi guys, i'd really appreciate if you could help with this maths problem:

A circle has equation (x-3)\^2+(y+5)\^2=25

and you have to find where y=kx intersects the circle twice

I'm assuming you use the discrimant and say that K>0 and that you substitute the y=kx into the circle equation however i keep getting the incorrect answer

Thanks

:)

Jomo

Elite Member
It is great that you have tried to solve this. Good for you. Now can you please show us your work so we know where you need help?

mmm4444bot

Super Moderator
Staff member
… (x-3)\^2+(y+5)\^2=25 …

… keep getting the incorrect answer …
Please show your work, so that tutors can see what you're doing. Are those two back slashes typos?

Also, check out the forum's submission guidelines; you can start with this summary. Thank you!

😎

LiamT988

Hi, so what I have done is substitute y=kx into the (y-5)^2 part of the circle, so I get (k-5)^2 x then I expand the bracket to get K^2+10k+25 but I’m not sure where to go from here

Jomo

Elite Member
(k-5)^2 x
No, you did not substitute kx for y in (y-5)^2. Rather you substituted k for y in (y-5)^2 and then you multiplied by x (on the outside).

What to do next? First fix that mistake and write the whole equation...(x-3)^2+rewrite=25. Then solve this equation.

LiamT988

Hi guys, i'd really appreciate if you could help with this maths problem:

A circle has equation (x-3)^2+(y+5)^2=25

and you have to find where y=kx intersects the circle twice

I'm assuming you use the discrimant and say that K>0 and that you substitute the y=kx into the circle equation however i keep getting the incorrect answer

So far what I have done is input Kx into the equation so I have (kx+5)^2 but from here I am confused

Thanks

:)

​

LiamT988

No, you did not substitute kx for y in (y-5)^2. Rather you substituted k for y in (y-5)^2.

What to do next? First fix that mistake and write the whole equation...(x-3)^2+rewrite=25. Then solve this equation.
I have figured it out now thank you

Jomo

Elite Member
Expand, combine and then solve (x-3)^2+(kx+5)^2=25