• Welcome! The new FreeMathHelp.com forum is live. We've moved from VB4 to Xenforo 2.1 as our underlying software. Hopefully you find the upgrade to be a positive change. Please feel free to reach out as issues arise -- things will be a little different, and minor issues will no doubt crop up.

homework help

rgrocks

in class we have just learned about discrete and continuous random variables. however again i still dont know what to do.

the problem ask
let X represent the difference between the number of heads and the number of tails obtained when a coin is tossed "n" times. What are the possible values of X?

i know this is probably a discrete random variable because u cant have non integers numbers for tosses and a difference.

this is how i think its done but its probably wrong cause it leads nowhere

X= H(n)-T(n)
X= n, n-1, n-2...-n infinity because the max value of X can only be N (assuming n heads and 0 tails) and the lowest it can be is is -n (0 heads and n tails)

please help

Subhotosh Khan

Super Moderator
Staff member
rgrocks said:
in class we have just learned about discrete and continuous random variables. however again i still dont know what to do.

the problem ask
let X represent the difference between the number of heads and the number of tails obtained when a coin is tossed "n" times. What are the possible values of X? 0 ? X ? n

i know this is probably a discrete random variable because u cant have non integers numbers for tosses and a difference.

this is how i think its done but its probably wrong cause it leads nowhere

X= H(n)-T(n)
X= n, n-1, n-2...-n infinity because the max value of X can only be N (assuming n heads and 0 tails) and the lowest it can be is is -n (0 heads and n tails)

please help

rgrocks

umm... can u help me solve the problem?