Homogeneous function of degree 0

azharali456

Why is a homogeneous function called homogeneous?

When I ask this, I don't mean, "Show me how to algebraically manipulate a function whose input has been multiplied by a constant to get the original function multiplied by the same constant."

I mean--why do we use the word "homogeneous"? That word, in particular, must have been chosen for a reason; what is it meant to communicate in this context?
Is the following an EXACT replica of your question:
your answer may be at /
Is this function homogeneous degree 0?

If NOT please provide verbatim replica of the question.

Also please tell us:

What is the definition of homogeneous function (please cite example)?

What is the definition of homogeneous degree (please cite example)

Here is the answer about what does y mean in math or [URL='https:/

.. in algebra letter has a different meaning

Last edited by a moderator:

When I ask this, I don't mean, "Show me how to algebraically manipulate a function whose input has been multiplied by a constant to get the original function multiplied by the same constant."

I mean--why do we use the word "homogeneous"? That word, in particular, must have been chosen for a reason; what is it meant to communicate in this context?
This should have been a new question, rather than being added to this thread; and I don't see the value of your link.

But my understanding is that homogeneous functions are a generalization of homogeneous polynomials, for which the name has a clearer meaning: the degrees of the terms are all the same. Compare the non-mathematical definitions here.

Is the following an EXACT replica of your question:
your answer may be at https://doublemath.com/homogeneous-function-definition/
Please stop spamming with your own URL