Hours Needed to Reach a Goal

Brightburned

Hey everyone,

I'm the general manager of a retail store and I am attempting to plot out what I need for a number of labor hours to achieve a certain goal. We have daily goals where we need to produce X number of clothing pieces to be sold onto the floor. To make that possible, there's two positions that make that happen:

Position one: A sorter, where their goal is to get a rack of clothes ready to go to next step. Each person is responsible for 100 pieces every hour.

Position two: Once the rack above is complete, this person takes it and tags the rack, start to finish taking 20 minutes.

Finally that rack is done and ready to go.

I am struggling to determine how many hours I need in total to achieve a production goal of 1180 each day. I am struggling because there's two different variables (ie: positions) that have different numbers, and I'm not sure what math I need to do to give me a flat answer of how many hours it takes to get that goal each day. Ultimately I am looking for the math behind the numbers (a breakdown if possible so I can follow along) to reach 1180 a day. Example: It takes 20 combined hours each day to reach a goal of 1180 because 100 pieces can be finished each hour. Something along those lines.

If this question doesn't make sense, let me know. I'm horrible at explaining things. I appreciate the help.

Hey everyone,

I'm the general manager of a retail store and I am attempting to plot out what I need for a number of labor hours to achieve a certain goal. We have daily goals where we need to produce X number of clothing pieces to be sold onto the floor. To make that possible, there's two positions that make that happen:

Position one: A sorter, where their goal is to get a rack of clothes ready to go to next step. Each person is responsible for 100 pieces every hour.

Position two: Once the rack above is complete, this person takes it and tags the rack, start to finish taking 20 minutes.

Finally that rack is done and ready to go.

I am struggling to determine how many hours I need in total to achieve a production goal of 1180 each day. I am struggling because there's two different variables (ie: positions) that have different numbers, and I'm not sure what math I need to do to give me a flat answer of how many hours it takes to get that goal each day. Ultimately I am looking for the math behind the numbers (a breakdown if possible so I can follow along) to reach 1180 a day. Example: It takes 20 combined hours each day to reach a goal of 1180 because 100 pieces can be finished each hour. Something along those lines.

If this question doesn't make sense, let me know. I'm horrible at explaining things. I appreciate the help.
As I see it, Position A is the bottle neck. So to sort 1180 pieces - you need ~12 hours of work from position A (12 racks). This will require 4 hrs. of tagging. However, if Person at position B can ALSO work at position A - then it will take considerably less than 12 hours to sort and tag 1200 clothes.

Right. Position B can also work position A, and vice versa. So both positions can support each other and help reach goal, but that also feels as though it complicates the math for me

Right. Position B can also work position A, and vice versa. So both positions can support each other and help reach goal, but that also feels as though it complicates the math for me
So - both working together - they can finish 1200 pieces (12 racks) in 8 hours (without bathroom breaks).

Do you see how?