How about a 'whiteboard' for 'writing' things down?

mjh94

In reference this this thread, it might be nice to have a whiteboard to work thing out on. Is that feasible?

Thank you for your consideration.

Re: Looking for suggestions

That's something I definitely want to add, and I'm glad to hear someone ask for it. Will take time, though, as I haven't found anything like that out there. At least nothing that will easily allow someone to add a sketch to a post. Any ideas?

Re: Looking for suggestions

Hey Ted:

Have you considered a 'manage attachments' option in lieu of using a hosting site to post diagrams, etc?.

I relaize you may not want to because of the space it takes up?.

There is apparently a phpBB "mod" called "Scribble Pad Mod". But--

This mod may still be in "beta". Also, it requires users to be running Java, in order for the applet(s) work. (I have Java turned off, and, when on, applets frequently crash my non-IE browser. It is my understanding that many workplaces have Java disabled, because of the perceived security risk.)

Just my $0.02... :wink:

Eliz.

You should be able to find a non-java application that could be easily integrated into the forum: it doesn't have to be a phpbb mod. Example: you could find a flash-based sketch application, put it in a directory, create a link at the top of the forum so that it opens in it's own window. Upon creating the sketch, the application will save it on the server, giving him/her a link which they can then put in their post.

I'm sure you can find a flash-based sketch application, similar to the dozens that people have on their Facebook profiles.
Flash isn't my thing, else I would write my own.

I loath Java; the OOP syntax is good, but the interpretation is slow as molasses.

Cheers,
John

jwpaine said:
...Upon creating the sketch, the application will save it on the server, giving him/her a link which they can then put in their post.
The problem with that is the quickly-growing size of the graphics archive. And I don't know if the college student funding this site would be able to afford the storage demands...?

Eliz.

stapel said:
jwpaine said:
...Upon creating the sketch, the application will save it on the server, giving him/her a link which they can then put in their post.
The problem with that is the quickly-growing size of the graphics archive. And I don't know if the college student funding this site would be able to afford the storage demands...?

Eliz.

We have a max post count of 76,967 posts: lets say that in the entire history of the forum everyone uploaded a 1MB image, that is 76,967MB, or about 75.16 GB

I had a hard time creating a 500x500 image with triangles and other sketches that was over half a meg - so that is roughly 38 GB for almost 77 thousand posts, which means if Ted is using a modern web hosting service, it will not increase costs. (not to mention per-file quotas could be setup so that individual files cannot exceed xMB)

Ted may or may not concur, because I don't know his service plan, but I doubt it would effect anything.
...only my $0.02 ;)

Cheers,
John

Disk storage is not a problem... we're up on a "virtual private server" with a very good web host that does that over sell the servers... I've got 50gb available and adding more would be cheap if it turns out to be necessary. I'll see what's out there but I'm swamped with school projects right now... graduating in a week :)

Electrical Engineering at Georgia Tech... I'm sticking around for grad school though... so two more years or so :)

thanks

Ted said:
Electrical Engineering at Georgia Tech... I'm sticking around for grad school though... so two more years or so :)
Georgia Tech: GOOD SCHOOL. Congratulations indeed.
Having spent my academic life only two states away, I know how well respected your degree will be.

Thanks, pka :)

my apologies for hijacking this thread from its original purpose, mjh94.