How did I get x=.54 from x^4 = .9 ?

J.J. White

I had the equation x^4 = .9 and somehow got x=.54 This is clearly wrong, but I don't know what I must have punched into my calculator to get this. I am looking to know specifically what error I might have made to achieve this solution. Please Help!

What do you think you tried to punch in? I doubt that it was anything like .9 * .6, which is the most likely thing to have done to get that.

It's more important, though, that you correct whatever error your made by doing the right thing. What is that?

What calculator?

What keys did you press?

Please be complete!

?
I was using a TI 30XS multiview calculator. I used the xroot button, which autofills previous answer where the x is. I would usually have deleted answer and typed a 4 instead, but clearly I didn't do that because I got a weird number.

What do you think you tried to punch in? I doubt that it was anything like .9 * .6, which is the most likely thing to have done to get that.

It's more important, though, that you correct whatever error your made by doing the right thing. What is that?
I was using a TI 30XS multiview calculator. I used the xroot button, which autofills previous answer where the x is. I would usually have deleted answer and typed a 4 instead, but clearly I didn't do that because I got a weird number. I wondered if there was any combination of numbers that makes sense for this situation to result in that number. I did it once before, obviously, but I can't replicate it.

I do know how to do it correctly, but I actually need to know the specific mistake I made in order to explain to a teacher how I got where I did to get any credit.

If it was the 4 in 4√.9 that was replaced, then to find it, you need to solve the equation 0.9^(1/x) = 0.54. Try it! (Solving that may get you the credit.)