How do I compare the following equations?

ausmathgenius420

Hi,

I have done an experiment that measures the rate of different reactions. They are precipitate reactions where the measuring device measures the conductivity between two prongs (which is why I have decay equations).

Excel has given me equations for the graphs but I don't really know how I should compare them as I haven't learned about equations with 'e' in them yet.

The equations are:
[math]y = 6.07e^{-3E-06x}[/math]
[math]y = 8.6963e^{-7E-06x}[/math]
[math]y = 13.695e^{-3E-05x}[/math]
For example if I had a linear equation, I know the constant (y intercept) in the equation would be irrelevant to the rate of reaction.
Is one piece of these equations less relevant to its decay? Should I be focusing on the superscript, the coefficient of e or both?

Would appreciate any help,
Thanks

Hi,

I have done an experiment that measures the rate of different reactions. They are precipitate reactions where the measuring device measures the conductivity between two prongs (which is why I have decay equations).

Excel has given me equations for the graphs but I don't really know how I should compare them as I haven't learned about equations with 'e' in them yet.

The equations are:
For example if I had a linear equation, I know the constant (y intercept) in the equation would be irrelevant to the rate of reaction.
Is one piece of these equations less relevant to its decay? Should I be focusing on the superscript, the coefficient of e or both?

Thanks
These are exponential equations using the base e = 2.71828...; they could be rewritten in terms of another base if you wish. I presume you know what -3E-06 means in Excel.

What have you learned about exponential decay and related decay rates?

The basic answer is that the coefficient in the exponent is the rate -- in some sense, which you will need to relate to your knowledge.

Hi,

The equations are:

Thanks
If I were compare those numbers - I would have reported their ratios (in the absence of any other instruction).

If y1 = A*Bn and y2 = C*B^m (where A, B, C, n and m are constants)

can you calculate \(\displaystyle \frac{y_1}{y_2}\)?