How do I find this integral?

jaemnhyuck

So this is the question:
Screenshot (7).png

What I've done so far is change the bounds on the integrals using u substitution to match the bounds on the integral we're trying to evaluate. However, I don't really know how to move past this point. Did I go about this the wrong way?

Annotation 2020-05-14 160237.jpg

I actually would have used u and v like you (that is my style) but at some point I would have realized that they are dummy variables and changed one of the variables to the other variable or changed both to the variable of my choice. If you do not believe that can be done then in the 2nd variable make the substitution u=v and see what happens. Now what would you do from here?

Yes, letting u= 6x, du= 6dx so dx= (1/6)du. When x= 0 u= 6(0)= 0 and when x= 9 u= 6(9)= 54 so the first integral is \(\displaystyle (1/6)\int_0^{54} f(u)du\). Letting v= 3x, dv= 3dx so x= (1/3)dv. When x= 0, v= 3(0)= 0 and when x= 18, v= 3(18)= 54 so the second integral is \(\displaystyle (1/3)\int_0^{54} f(u)du\).

That's exactly what you have: \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{6}\int_0^{54}f(u)du+ \frac{1}{3}\int_0^{54} f(v)dv= 85\). Great!

Now, tkhunny's comment "why did you use u and v" is just referencing that your "u" and "v", as well as the "x" in the original integrals are "dummy" variables. That is, everyone of those integrals is a number, there is no "u" or "v" or "x" in the final value. You could as easily let u= 6x in one and u= 3x in the other. Since they are separate integrals there is no problem with that. And then you would have \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{6}\int_0^{54}f(u)du+ \frac{1}{3}\int_0^{54} f(u)du= 85\)
\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{6}\int_0^{54}f(u)du+ \frac{2}{6}\int_0^{54} f(u)du= 85\)
\(\displaystyle \frac{3}{6}\int_0^{54} f(u)du= \frac{1}{2}\int_0^{54} f(u)du= 85\)

So what is \(\displaystyle \int_0^{54} f(u)du\)?

I actually would have used u and v like you (that is my style) but at some point I would have realized that they are dummy variables and changed one of the variables to the other variable or changed both to the variable of my choice. If you do not believe that can be done then in the 2nd variable make the substitution u=v and see what happens. Now what would you do from here?
Indeed. I did appreciate the care in deliberately failing to use the same variable in two different ways. Seriously, kudos to the OP. Sadly, this level of care did not result in a solution.