How do i solve this series of numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Properly speaking, you can't "solve" a sequence. (This isn't a series, which means a sum.)

All you can do is to propose a possible rule that explains it; you can't prove it is correct.

But if you observe that these change somewhat irregularly (which you can see, for example, by graphing them), you might consider the possibility of two different rules alternating.

And if you consider the differences or ratios of successive terms, you can find a possible answer, which matches one of those offered as options.

So show us any thoughts you've had, and we can talk about it.

(I hope you didn't expect us to just give you an answer.)

Properly speaking, you can't "solve" a sequence. (This isn't a series, which means a sum.)

All you can do is to propose a possible rule that explains it; you can't prove it is correct.

But if you observe that these change somewhat irregularly (which you can see, for example, by graphing them), you might consider the possibility of two different rules alternating.

And if you consider the differences or ratios of successive terms, you can find a possible answer, which matches one of those offered as options.

So show us any thoughts you've had, and we can talk about it.

(I hope you didn't expect us to just give you an answer.i know the answer i just want the method to solve it i never said i want an answer. Go and read the title again

If you dont know how to solve it you dont need to write a whole page just to tell me you wont give an answer. Please dont answer any of my questions anymore your not helpful at all

In case you haven't read this page: this forum is not about giving answers, but about helping you find them.
Do i look like i know how to solve it i already know the final answer all i need is the method if you cant provide that then iam leaving stop wasting time with useless replys brother. People like otis really help unlike you guys?

Last edited:
Do i look like i know how to solve it i already know the final answer all i need is the method if you cant provide that then iam leaving stop wasting time with useless replys brother. People like otis really help unlike you guys?
Unfortunately, one of the problems with this exercise is that we can make any number the next number of the series if we are clever enough. Presumably, there is an "obvious" way to do this which gives you the answer.

All I can do is start you off with a hint: Multiply all the numbers in your series by 5. That may or may not help.

-Dan

Learning mathematics is about learning to think for yourself. You asked how you can "solve" it; that's what I tried to answer, by giving you several really good hints. I am helping you, apparently more than you realize.

But let's pretend I didn't add that last line, which I assumed would be familiar to you from past interactions. Please respond to the rest, showing what you have done with my hints, rather than just complain. What differences and ratios did you find? Have you seen sequence problems involving alternating rules?

In case you haven't read this page: this forum is not about giving answers, but about helping you find

Learning mathematics is about learning to think for yourself. You asked how you can "solve" it; that's what I tried to answer, by giving you several really good hints. I am helping you, apparently more than you realize.

But let's pretend I didn't add that last line, which I assumed would be familiar to you from past interactions. Please respond to the rest, showing what you have done with my hints, rather than just complain. What differences and ratios did you find? Have you seen sequence problems involving alternating rules?
Like i said erlier stop replying

Unfortunately, one of the problems with this exercise is that we can make any number the next number of the series if we are clever enough. Presumably, there is an "obvious" way to do this which gives you the answer.

All I can do is start you off with a hint: Multiply all the numbers in your series by 5. That may or may not help.

-Dan
16859034188305983428957073365202.jpgyeah that helped a lot thanks ?

I am reporting you for being uncivil to forum members and having a bad attitude.
I am requesting that you get a ban for a cooling off period.
Dont worry i wont post anything in this site anymore you can ban me all you want.

How did you get 545? I didn't see the pattern you were using?

-Dan

topsquark, I will answer from that sideways post of his in post #10.

Here is the list of numerators with corresponding denominators of 5:

\(\displaystyle 2, 6, 21, 84, 104, 520\)

\(\displaystyle 2*3 = 6, \ 6 + 15 = 21, \ 21*4 = 84, \ 84 + 20 = 104, \ 104*5 = 520, \)
\(\displaystyle 520 + 25 = 545\)

Finally, \(\displaystyle \ 545/5 \ = \ 109.\)

I, too, saw the answer after initially writing fractions with a common denominator, when I guessed at alternating addition and multiplication because of this graph,

1685928759224.png

Alternating small changes and large changes suggests addition and multiplication.

But I then checked the differences and ratios in the original form:

1685928908930.png

So we alternately multiply, then add, by the same numbers. The next step is to add 5 to get 109.

This, of course, is what my hints said.

Last edited:
Have you ever considered using periods?

Status
Not open for further replies.