How Do You Get The Average % From This Table?

thugnasty

Hello!

I work for a website company and we are trying to understand what the average scroll percentage is on a specific web page.

This is what we know:

The number of times (let's call them "events") a user scrolled 10% into the page, 20% into the page, and so on until 100%.

Below is the table to visualize this problem.

Percentage Scrolled Events (number of times someone scrolled to the respective percentage)
10%
20%1928
30%1769
40%1564
50%1513
60%1478
70%1451
80%1427
90%1388
100%1235

What we want to know is, what is the formula to understand the average % that this page is scrolled?

Thanks,
Tim

What we want to know is, what is the formula to understand the average % that this page is scrolled?

Tim

It's probably important to know that there is not, most likely, any such thing as "the formula". You must gain some design intuition by looking at your data. Plot it, somehow. Make a line chart or something. Ask questions about it.
* Do we believe it should be a linear relationship?
* Why is it SO FLAT between 40% am 90%?
* Should it keep descending toward 100% or should it level off?
* Does it mean, "If we can get them to page three(3), we usually get them for the whole article"?

These questions, and many others, can be posed and possibly answered.

Hello!

I work for a website company and we are trying to understand what the average scroll percentage is on a specific web page.

This is what we know:

The number of times (let's call them "events") a user scrolled 10% into the page, 20% into the page, and so on until 100%.

Below is the table to visualize this problem.

Percentage Scrolled Events (number of times someone scrolled to the respective percentage)
10%1982
20%1928
30%1769
40%1564
50%1513
60%1478
70%1451
80%1427
90%1388
100%1235

Thanks,
Tim

Before I would try to answer, I would need to be sure what the numbers mean.

I observe that they decrease throughout the table, which suggests that they may be inclusive: the people who scrolled to 20% are included in the number for 10% (because they did reach 10%, and then went beyond it). Is that true?

If so, then I would next want to subtract to find how many scrolled to any particular point and no further. That would probably be what you want to average.

Then I would use what is called a "weighted average". Are you familiar with that idea?

The other thing I'd want to know is whether you intend to compare your results with anyone else. If so, then there ought to be an industry standard defining how to calculate it, so that everyone does the same thing. But tkhunny's comments are also very important: even if this is a standard calculation, other analyses are likely to be more valuable.