How do you know where to place the new parameter in the original integrand to use feynman's integral trick?

Al-Layth

In feynman's integral trick which involves differentiating under the integral sign, we need to first add another parameter to define a new function I(t). here are some example problems of it being done.

[math]\int_{0}^{1} \ln(x)dx \rightarrow I(t)=\int_{0}^{1} \ln(tx)dx[/math]
[math]\int_{0}^{ \infty} \frac{\sin(x)}{x}dx \longrightarrow I(t)=\int_{0}^{ \infty} \frac{\sin(tx)}{x}dx[/math]
I don't understand why they placed the parameter where they did, why not elsewhere, and what reasoning a person uses to decide where to place the parameter.

Can someone help me understand
thanks

In feynman's integral trick which involves differentiating under the integral sign, we need to first add another parameter to define a new function I(t). here are some example problems of it being done.

[math]\int_{0}^{1} \ln(x)dx \rightarrow I(t)=\int_{0}^{1} \ln(tx)dx[/math]
[math]\int_{0}^{ \infty} \frac{\sin(x)}{x}dx \longrightarrow I(t)=\int_{0}^{ \infty} \frac{\sin(tx)}{x}dx[/math]
I don't understand why they placed the parameter where they did, why not elsewhere, and what reasoning a person uses to decide where to place the parameter.

Can someone help me understand
thanks
There's a bit of experience where you put the parameter but generally it goes inside a "function" ie. inside sin(x) or ln(x) or [imath]e^x[/imath] rather than next to an x. In the long run the best way to get some experience with it is to try it out on a few integrals. It's somewhat time consuming, but educational!

-Dan

There's a bit of experience where you put the parameter but generally it goes inside a "function" ie. inside sin(x) or ln(x) or [imath]e^x[/imath] rather than next to an x. In the long run the best way to get some experience with it is to try it out on a few integrals. It's somewhat time consuming, but educational!

-Dan
Okay
Thank you