How do you read (write) this multiplication equation?

mercuriocj

Hello - I am writing a film script, and I have a brilliant character who needs to say the following unsolvable equation in words. Would someone be able to help me?
3x + 8 = 3(x + 2)
Is it?: "three x plus eight equals three times x plus two"
My worry is getting the 3(x + 2) written correctly.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you!

Here's one way:
Three times x plus eight is equal to three times the quantity x plus two.

-Dan

Hello - I am writing a film script, and I have a brilliant character who needs to say the following unsolvable equation in words. Would someone be able to help me?
3x + 8 = 3(x + 2)
Is it?: "three x plus eight equals three times x plus two"
My worry is getting the 3(x + 2) written correctly.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you!
Technically, the equation is not insoluble. It is invalid.

3x + y = 4x + z has no unique solution, but is valid.

I'd say "three x plus eight equals three times the quantity x plus two".

Terminology seems to vary. I'd say the equation has no solution, but not that it is unsolvable: it has a solution, namely the empty set. To me, an unsolvable equation would be one for which it is impossible to determine whether it even has a solution. Maybe this depends on context.

I must say I am curious why a mathematician would think this equation is interesting ...

I must say I am curious why a mathematician would think this equation is interesting ...
I suspect the OP has no interest at all in what a mathematician finds interesting or difficult. The OP has an interest in what a non-mathematician imagines a mathematician finds interesting. For those who found elementary algebra difficult, they may be surprised that there are invalid equations because their texts were careful not to generate any. Furthermore, if we were to give an example of a problem that some professional mathematicians actually do find interesting, the example itself would be incomprehensible to 99% of the intended audience.

Actually, it's entirely possible that the equation is appropriate for the context; this isn't necessarily a mathematician (much less one talking to other mathematicians about what interests them), and may be only trying to illustrate how a problem may have no solution, using a very simple example.

But I was hinting that telling us a little about the context might elicit some useful ideas beyond wording (such as another simple example that would be more suitable for the purpose).