How do you solve this?

Lovely918

x dy/dx +y-e^x= 0 What method would you go about by solving this? WOuld you use dy/dx + Py = Q?

x dy/dx +y-e^x= 0 What method would you go about by solving this? WOuld you use dy/dx + Py = Q?

Yes - and the integrating factor would be \(\displaystyle e^{\int P(x)dx}\) where P(x) =\(\displaystyle \dfrac{1}{x}\) and Q(x) = \(\displaystyle \dfrac{e^x}{x}\)

Last edited by a moderator:
If the question is the integral of px then what part does qx play?

\(\displaystyle y' + P(x)*y = Q(x)\)

\(\displaystyle y' * e^{\int P(x) dx} \ + \ P(x) \ * \ y \ * \ e^{\int P(x) dx} \ = \ Q(x) \ * \ \ e^{\int P(x) dx} \ \)

\(\displaystyle \dfrac {d}{dx}\left [ y \ * \ e^{\int P(x) dx} \right ] \ = \ Q(x) \ * \ \ e^{\int P(x) dx} \ \)

Now integrate both sides - and solve for 'y'

So is it like this?

so do you solve it like this:

d/dx (y*e^ integral 1/x dx)=((e^x)/x)* e^(integral 1/x dx)

Is that right?

If the question is the integral of px then what part does qx play?

There is no px or qx in this exercise, and finding the integral of function P is not the question.

This exercise wants you to find some function y = f(x) = ???? such that function f satisfies the given differential equation.

Cheers :cool:

Last edited:

Is that right?

I may be misinterpreting your questions above.

I can tell you that you have correctly substituted the algebraic definitions that Subhotosh supplied for functions P and Q into the equation provided to you in Subhotosh's last post.

:confused:

Is that right?
Do you not know what \(\displaystyle \int 1/x dx\) is? If you do, why have you not put it in? This is a very very simple integration problem.

Also, I would like to point out that, by the product rule, \(\displaystyle \frac{d(xy)}{dx}= \frac{dx}{dx}y+ x\frac{dy}{dx}= x\frac{dy}{dx}+ y\)

So, your differential equation is \(\displaystyle x\frac{dy}{dx}+ y= \frac{d(xy)}{dx}= e^x\). That is what you would get using the more "formal" integrating factor method.

Last edited: