How is w= to -7?

Beautiful Mess

The equation is -2-3w-5w=-4w-44 When I combine my like terms, I end up with -2-2w=-4w-44 Now I need to get rid of one of my "w's", right? But when I do that, I get an incorrect answer. This is what I'm doing:

-2w-3w-5w=-4w-44 Add 3w and 5w
-2-2w=-4w-44
+2w=+2w-44
-2=-2w=-44
+2 +2
-2w=-42
-2w/-2 -42/-2
w=21
The answer in the back of the book is -7 and that's what one of my class mates got, when looking at her work, I STILL have no idea how she got that.
If anyone can help me, I would GREATLY appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

I think you are doing some 'illegal' moves in your algebra.

Initially, you have \(\displaystyle -2-3w-5w=-4w-44\). Is this a typo?.

Get the w terms on one side and the constants on the other.

\(\displaystyle -3w-5w+4w=-44+2\)

\(\displaystyle -4w=-42\)

\(\displaystyle w=\frac{21}{2}\)

Is it safe to asssume you have the equation written down incorrectly?.

galactus said:
I think you are doing some 'illegal' moves in your algebra.

Initially, you have \(\displaystyle -2-3w-5w=-4w-44\). Is this a typo?.

Get the w terms on one side and the constants on the other.

\(\displaystyle -3w-5w+4w=-44+2\)

\(\displaystyle -4w=-42\)

\(\displaystyle w=\frac{21}{2}\)

Is it safe to asssume you have the equation written down incorrectly?.

I typed the problem out correctly, I checked it so many times I have it memorized. I really think the answer I'm getting is correct. I know the steps to solve this problem and I've gotten every other one correct. I just don't see how the answer is -7. I'll keep working on it, thank you!

If the above equation I solved is correct and the book gives the answer as -7, then the book is wrong. The solution is 21/2. Trust me. :D

galactus said:
If the above equation I solved is correct and the book gives the answer as -7, then the book is wrong. The solution is 21/2. Trust me. :D
That's the exact same answer I keep getting! I think the books is wrong too, but I didn't want to assume that and be cocky and proven wrong in class. Not a fan of looking like an idiot. If we're right, I'm SO standing on the table and dancing the happy dance in class. I'm not THAT great in math, but I do know what I'm doing.

Thank you SO much! I appreciate it!

Beautiful Mess said:
The equation is -2-3w-5w=-4w-44
The answer in the back of the book is -7

-2-3w+5w = -4w-44
That'll work out to x = -7 ; you sure that's -5w?