how many days will 2/3 of a bag of cat food feed the......

eddy2017

Elite Member
Hi, dear friends and teachers:

A group of cats consume 1/6 of a bag of food in a day. Each cat eats the same amount of food every day. If the number of cats in the group is halved after adoptions, how many days will 2/3 of a bag of cat food feed the resultant group?.

how would you go about solving this?
What would your first operation be?
We know this:
1/6 of a bag of cat foot last a day

But now we have that we wanna know how many days 2/3of a bag will last one part of the group.
Thanks for any hints or clues!.
eddy

A group of cats consume 1/6 of a bag of food in a day. Each cat eats the same amount of food every day. If the number of cats in the group is halved after adoptions, how many days will 2/3 of a bag of cat food feed the resultant group?.

We know this:

But now we have that we wanna know how many days 2/3of a bag will last one part of the group.
eddy
Hint: the key to such problems is Rate. Calculate (or identify) the rate of consumption, then use it to answer the question.

I don't get it. Is rate not a distance divided by time kind of calculation?.
Please, any clue about to identify the rate?
Do I compare both fractions?.

We know this:

eddy
If you have half as many cats, how much will they consume per day?

They will consume double the amount that they used to have before being cut in half.

Well, I know this:
1/6 of a bag lasted the whole group, ( before half of them were adopted), one day. (1 day).
I know I have two fractions with unlike denominators.
I also know that I can find how much is 2/3 out of 6, if it is any good. It is 6.
Because 2/3* 6/1=12/3=4

To answer your question:
The problem says that before adoptions they got to eat the same amount, then the group were cut in half, so the remaining got to eat their rations plus the rations of the ones that were gone now.

Well, I know this:
1/6 of a bag lasted the whole group, ( before half of them were adopted), one day. (1 day).
I know I have two fractions with unlike denominators.
I also know that I can find how much is 2/3 out of 6, if it is any good. It is 6.
Because 2/3* 6/1=12/3=4
The question was: "If you have half as many cats, how much will they consume per day?"
Answering it will give you the rate I mentioned.

To answer your question:
The problem says that before adoptions they got to eat the same amount, then the group were cut in half, so the remaining got to eat their rations plus the rations of the ones that were gone now.
You misunderstand the problem statement. It doesn't say whatever the number of cats is, they will eat the same amount of food. It says "Each cat eats the same amount of food every day. "

You're misunderstanding the problem. You need to assume that the cats don't just gorge themselves on whatever you give them, but eat what they want. They each eat at a certain rate (in bags per day), and continue to eat at the same rate afterward.

Now with the last few hints given to you I suggest you think about the question already asked.
If the group of cats consumed 1/6 of a bag of cat feed per day (that is their rate), then the number of cats are reduced by half then what part of a bag will the remaining cats consume per day?

As far as rates go it is not always rate*time = distance. One can read at the rate of 2 pages per minute. Someone can do basic addition of two-two digit numbers at the rate of 35 problems per minute. The gasoline pump can pump at the rate of 2 gallons per minute. The rain can be falling at the rate of .2 inches per hour

Thank you!. Allow me some time to process this good info and I will write when I have something concrete.

If you have half as many cats, how much will they consume per day?" #4
Well, can i find the half of 1/6? ( the amount that whole group was eating at first?)
1/6*1/2 (Multiply the numerators and the denominators )
=1/12
Half the cats will consume 1/12 per day.

If you have half as many cats, how much will they consume per day?" #4
Well, can i find the half of 1/6? ( the amount that whole group was eating at first?)
1/6*1/2 (Multiply the numerators and the denominators )
=1/12
Half the cats will consume 1/12 per day.
Ok, that's the rate. Now, given the rate and the total amount consumed (2/3 of a bag), can you figure out how many days it will last?

I'm struggling to see the operation needed here.
Half the cats
Eating at a 1/12 rate out of a 2/3 bag of cat feed.
Division?
1/12÷2/3 ?
=4/3

4/3 doesn't make much sense, right. As an answer for the amount of days it would last.

4 does makes sense . 4 days but not 4/3.
I'm way off the mark, I think.

I'm struggling to see the operation needed here.
Half the cats
Eating at a 1/12 rate out of a 2/3 bag of cat feed.
Division?
1/12÷2/3 ?
=4/3

4/3 doesn't make much sense, right. As an answer for the amount of days it would last.
When you are not sure what operation to use it may help if you replace amounts in the problem by something easier to deal with. E.g. They eat 2 bags a day. How long will 6 bags last? After solving this easy problem just use the same operation with original numbers.

If they eat 2 bags a day, 6 bags will last 3 days.
But how did you come up with the 2 and the 6?.

If they eat 2 bags a day, 6 bags will last 3 days.
But how did you come up with the 2 and the 6?.
As I wrote - just some random whole numbers that are easy to deal with. They are not related to the amounts in the problem.
More importantly, how did you get 3 days and can you use the same operation with original amounts?