how many days will 2/3 of a bag of cat food feed the......

6/2 = 3.

Now remove the 6 with the original number and the 2 with the original number and do with the original numbers exactly what you did with the 2 and 6.

t= total amount of cat feed consumed
rate
t= 1/6÷ 1/12. Perhaps?
t=2 days
I don't understand what you wrote.
Let's go back to the easy problem. You wrote:

Oh, it is dividing, not multiplying.
6 days/2bags=3 days

Let's correct mistakes. We have amount of food = 6 bags, rate of consumption = 2 bags/day. To calculate time we divide the amount by rate:
6 bags/2 bags/day = 3 days.
Note that units on the left match units on the right.

Now, please use the actual numbers from the problem (total amount and the rate you found).

I have to go to bed. I'll write tomorrow. Thanks a lot for your patience and help. I can't be thankful enough.

A group of cats consume 1/6 of a bag of food in a day. Each cat eats the same amount of food every day. If the number of cats in the group is halved after adoptions, how many days will 2/3 of a bag of cat food feed the resultant group?.
Hi, morning to all of you: let me regroup and let me try it this way because I am not understanding the rate thing even if I'd love to see how it is done using Rate.
A friend of mine who is a math buff gave me this explanation.
we have a group of cats, which is cut in half after adoptions, and now we have some food and we want to know how much that will last for the remaining cats.

We know that 1/6 of a bag will last the old group 1 day.
Looking at the two fractions I can see that they do not have the same denominator.
I ask myself this question: What is 2/3 in terms of 6?. Well, 2/3 out of 6 =4/6
1/6, 2/3 and 4/6 are equivalent fractions. They are the same thing. That I know for sure.
The new bag should last them 4 days, because according to him, 1/6 to 4/6 is 4 days. This part I did not understand, though.
And then, he added that if the group of cats, the number of cats were halved, that information is given in the problem for a reason, the reason being that the remaining cats get to eat now the food of the others who are not there anymore, so that means that every cat get twice as much food now. So, we multiply 4*2 (because the food doubles in the absence of half of the cats)= 8
He said that if the old group could make the food last 4 days, if you cut that group in half, everybody has doubled, and that means the food would last them 8 days because the group got cut in half.

Do you agree with his analysis?. If you do, please, I would love to try and finish the scenario that was given to me here by you.

Do you agree with his analysis?. If you do, please, I would love to try and finish the scenario that was given to me here by you.

Much of that makes no sense. Either you miscopied it, or you shouldn't depend on this person's advice.

But let's take his answer of 8 days and see if it works.

The whole group of cats would eat 1/6 in a day. You've determined earlier that half the cats would eat half as much, 1/12 of a bag, in a day.

In 8 days they would eat 8 times that much, which is 8 * 1/12 = 8/12; simplifying that, we get 2/3. So, yes, in 8 days they will use up the supply.

Here's how I would solve it: However many days it will take, times 1/12, has to equal 2/3, as it did in the check. To find that missing multiplier, we divide: the total quantity divided by the amount per day, 2/3 bag divided by 1/12 bag per day. All that's left is to do the division, 2/3 divided by 1/12. One way to do that is to change it to a multiplication, 2/3 times 12/1. This is 2 times 12 over 3 times 1, which is 24 over 3, or 8. So the answer is 8 days.

Observe that the key is to decide what operation to do; once you know you have to divide 2/3 by 1/12, the rest is "just math", and can be done by any method you want.

There are many other ways to do this, including proportions.

You had it right in #43, except that you used 1/6 in place of 1/12.

Thank you so much, Dr Peterson. I have understood now.

The whole group of cats would eat 1/6 in a day. You've determined earlier that half the cats would eat half as much, 1/12 of a bag, in a day. #51

And I comprehend now how I arrived at 1/12 because, to be honest, I was vague about how I got there. That was essential to understanding the whole process, as you have said.
I just needed to find the half of 1/6. That was all. That is something that I learned how to do in this problem. I did not know how to do such a simple arithmetic.
Thank you so much, lev88 and Jomo and Dr Peterson for such an invaluable help and such a saintly patience!!!!.

Try this on your own:
Jim eats 2 apples a day, Bob eats 1. Will a bag of 20 apple be enough for a week?

Ok, there are 7 days in a week.
Between Jim and Bob, three (3) apples are eaten each day.
So, 7 days * 3 apples a day= 21 apples.
No, it is not enough.

I just thought it would be good for me to write out the steps that Dr Peterson followed to solve the problem. It helps a lot to see how the whole math operation unfolds. I tried to insert operations here but it is difficult to write math here. I use Math type but the copy and paste does not work here. So, I attached a pdf doc. Hope it is ok.
Thanks, it was a learning experience working this problem out and getting all your hints and advice.

Attachments

• A group of cats consume 1.......pdf
    187.4 KB · Views: 4