how many days will take

eddy2017

Elite Member
Hi, dear tutors, this problem is not giving me the chosen answer when i work it out.

A carpenter can make 3 cabinets in two days. how many days will take an apprentice working half as fast to make 9 cabinets.

i am setting this up as a proportion
cabinets --------------time
3-----------------------2 days
9-----------------------x

3x= 9*2
3x=18

3x/3 = 18/3

x=6
It should take the apprentice 6 days
but in the answer choice the answer which is given as the right answer says 12.
am I missing something here?
thanks,
eddy

Hi, dear tutors, this problem is not giving me the chosen answer when i work it out.

A carpenter can make 3 cabinets in two days. how many days will take an apprentice working half as fast to make 9 cabinets.

3x= 9*2
3x=18

3x/3 = 18/3

x=6
thanks,
eddy

The carpenter is working half as fast, i.e. taking him twice as long.

3x= 9*2
3x=18
3x/3 = 18/3
x=6
thanks,
eddy

To solve this problem, I would ask & answer following questions:

How many days the Carpenter take to make 1 cabinet = 2/3 days

At half efficiency, how many days would the apprentice take to make 1 cabinet = 2
* 2/3 days

How many days would the apprentice take to make 9 cabinets = 9 * 2 * 2/3 days

At half efficiency, how many days would the apprentice take to make 1 cabinet = 2
* 2/3 days

but I'm not getting something.
________
* 2/3 days

Why 2?. Where is this 2 coming from?

I suppose the 2/3 comes from 2 cabinets in 3 days, right?

but I'm not getting something.
________
* 2/3 days

Why 2?. Where is this 2 coming from?
When the efficiency is halved (1/2)
The time is doubled (1/(1/2) =2)

* 2/3 days

9 × 2× 2/3
18 × 2/3
Reducing it
6× 2= 12
Thanks. I got it.

I see this now. Just one question.
When efficiency is halved, will I always have to multiply the 1/2 by 1 to get 2 ?.
I mean, is this a set operation?

I see this now. Just one question.
When efficiency is halved, will I always have to multiply the 1/2 by 1 to get 2 ?.
I mean, is this a set operation?
Eddy

Algebra is about generalization. Trying to make rules from a single numerical example is not efficient.

What is the rate at which the carpenter makes a cabinet? This will be a ratio between cabinets and time.

[math]\text {Carpenter's rate} = \dfrac{\# \text { of cabinets}}{\# \text { of days}}.[/math]
When you see the word "rate," ask yourself whether time will be in the denominator.

Where the ratio comes in is in the concept of comparative efficiency. Notice that word "comparative." What does it mean in the context of this problem. It means

[math]\dfrac{\text {apprentice's rate}}{\text {carpenter's rate}} = \dfrac{1}{2} \implies \\ 2 * \text {apprentice's rate} = \text {carpenter's rate} \implies\\ \text {apprentice's rate} = \dfrac{1}{2} * \text {carpenter's rate.}[/math]
If what you put in your head is one-half, when you get a problem with a different ratio of efficiency, the one half will do you not a lick of good. You need to understand the logic of the process so you can apply it in different circumstances. Make sense?

Last edited:
Eddy

Algebra is about generalization. Trying to make rules from a single numerical example is not efficient.

What is the rate at which the carpenter makes a cabinet? This will be a ratio between cabinets and time.

[math]\text {Carpenter's rate} = \dfrac{\# \text { of cabinets}}{\# \text { of days}}.[/math]
When you see the word "rate," ask yourself whether time will be in the denominator.

Where the ratio comes in is in the concept of comparative efficiency. Notice that word "comparative." What does it mean in the context of this problem. It means

[math]\dfrac{\text {apprentice's rate}}{\text {carpenter's rate}} = \dfrac{1}{2} \implies \\ 2 * \text {apprentice's rate} = \text {carpenter's rate} \implies\\ \text {apprentice's rate} = \dfrac{1}{2} * \text {carpenter's rate.}[/math]
If what you put in your head is one-half, when you get a problem with a different ratio of efficiency, the one half will do you not a lick of good. You need to understand the logic of the process so you can apply it in different circumstances. Make sense?
It makes a world of sense now. Thank you, Jeff. Good to hear from you. Best regards.

always have to multiply the 1/2 by 1 to get 2 ?
That statement/question does not make sense. Please rephrase it.

Another thing - "always" is very very long time.

In science, we avoid using that adverb - always :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You said: *

I thought it was a constant.
Jeff cleared it up for me.

A constant is an 'always'. How bout that?. The joke is on you now ? ?

From where did you get "multiply"?
No, my error. I saw the divison bar now.
Why do you divide 1/ 1/2 . I know that equals 2
Why the division though?
I guess 1 represents the rate speed of the carpenter here divided by the apprentice 's rate of speed. He works at half the speed, is this okay?.

They might be spelled differently but the idea is the same. A constant or konstant never change. Pi will always be Pi, I guess.

They might be spelled differently but the idea is the same. A constant or constant never change. Pi will always be Pi, I guess.
No - gravitational constant changes over time - then you shall have no 'pie'!!!

π is 3.14159..... whatever the number is only in western thoughts. In eastern classical definition - that "constant" is expressed as (C/D).

See even Pi is not constant - eat it.....